Question for NONB and fellow SR and 650 owners

More
22 Mar 2008 16:35 #201615 by kzwolfsr
Have your shocks ever felt like pure rock. I just switched out my old shocks with some used shocks with Mountain, one of our fellow Kzriders and basically I adjusted them to the highest point so that I would get some spring back, but they make the bike feel like one of those hard tail choppers. How do they ride those things? I am now 149lbs and I don't know but would that be to much adjustment for a light guy like me. I don't want to experience a hard tail or the feeling I busted my nuts on the seat! Help Please!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2008 18:53 #201631 by 650ed
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you may have adjusted them to their firmest rather than softest setting. Take a look at the adjuster. As you turn it toward the softest setting the spring should relax some and get a bit longer as you reduce the pre-load. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Mar 2008 19:33 #201638 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Question for NONB and fellow SR and 650 owners
Well I just adjusted them back down to the lowest setting and tried it out. Not too bad after that test but still a little rough. I must be too light for the suspension to feel me. But however I am impressed with the power the bike has now.....it goes up to 30mph in 1st gear...I nevr seen that before. I will have to read the sparkplugs after some decent riding

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

More
23 Mar 2008 06:30 #201691 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Question for NONB and fellow SR and 650 owners
149lbs? With your light weight and "newer" shocks your gonna have to adjust them down a tad. I understand wanting some spring back, apparently these have some so I think you'll still have spring with a softer ride..

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
24 Mar 2008 06:01 #201878 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic Question for NONB and fellow SR and 650 owners
650ed wrote:

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you may have adjusted them to their firmest rather than softest setting. Take a look at the adjuster. As you turn it toward the softest setting the spring should relax some and get a bit longer as you reduce the pre-load. Ed

Ditto on that. I still run stock shocks on my 1979 SR650. I also am not heavy, at only about 170# and my wife is another 100#. So combined we are ~270# and the stock shocks seem to carry us fairly well over all but the worst roads.
I usually set my shocks at the high (stiffest) setting and this seems to be OK with both of us, plus saddlebags and gear.

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
24 Mar 2008 06:05 #201879 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Question for NONB and fellow SR and 650 owners
I had the shocks on the highest setting but it just jumps around in the back like if I had steel rods. I adjusted it down to the lowest setting....a little softer, but I think the roads here are horrible