Have U tried Shinko sport tires?

More
21 Mar 2008 20:27 #201484 by Nelson
Have U tried Shinko sport tires? was created by Nelson
cheap, but cheap performing also???

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2008 21:08 - 21 Mar 2008 21:09 #201492 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Have U tried Shinko sport tires?
That's a 'yes/no' answer in my opinion. I have numerous friends who have put them on their bikes and the bottom line is that the 'next to stickiest' wear like iron and do very good in a straight line. The 'stickiest' ones wear very well and do real well in a straight line. But their cornering ability is suspect.
Here's my take: One of my friends is a 'Busa rider with good skills, can corner to the limits of the 'Busa and had the 'next to stickiest' set on his 'Busa when he took a trip to The Dragon, rode The Dragon, and then rode back to Kansas. Minimal wear, said they did great.
Buddy #2 has a 600 Bandit with a worked-over 1216 motor...real close to 'Busa-type-power. We take a trip to the Ozarks last summer and he's got a brand new set of the 'stickiest' ones on. Now this guy can RIDE, I've known him for 20+ years and ridden with him enough to vouch for his skills. I don't know if it was the tires or something else, but that little Bandit would squirm around in the corners when he would start to get serious with it. He bitched to me about it and I thought he was making it up; so I rode behind him for a bit and no kidding, we would go into corners and he would try to pick up the pace, but if there was ANY pavement imperfection the back of that Bandit would start to move around...it was wierd.

Me? I dunno; but I know what I've seen, and I don't want them on my bikes...unless I'm drag racing, and the results there seem to be undeniable.

Hope that helped.

-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)
Last edit: 21 Mar 2008 21:09 by Bad Kaw.

More
21 Mar 2008 21:51 #201498 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Have U tried Shinko sport tires?
yup that helps. I need another tire for my SV and the bloody things cost 3X what a KZ tire costs, yet wear out 4X faster!! It's madness...

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
22 Mar 2008 12:42 #201576 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Have U tried Shinko sport tires?
Well, these things are supposed to wear like iron; and that's from a 'Busa pilot who - as I said - finds the limits of that big beast in the corners. I don't know what you're planned "environment" is for the SV, but if you're looking for wear, I'd say this would at least be an inexpensive venture (as compared to the top-shelf items). Now if you're looking to take it to your local 'track day' I'd recommend against that.

PS> the bike in your avatar is F-ing good looking.

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)