Rebuilding original shocks

More
10 Mar 2008 08:11 #199315 by Daedalus
Rebuilding original shocks was created by Daedalus
Hello all,

Have an '83 KZ650CSR with the original chrome shocks. I am trying to find out if these are rebuildable (spell checker doesn't think this is a real word ;) ). They do not seem to have much dampening left and the rubber grommet at the top has turned to dust.

Searching the posts I see that KONI and other (IKON, Progressive, etc...) shocks are rebuildable (there's that word again) but maybe not these original ones. Also, would I even want to rebuild these shocks if I could? Would I want to buy a new set from Kawasaki(trying to keep the bike original)? Or go to Ikon, Progressive, etc... Comments?

Cary, IL
1983 KZ 650 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2008 10:30 #199334 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Rebuilding original shocks
Hi,
The stock shocks can not be rebuilt. There are the shocks you mentioned, if you want a shock that's you can rebuild. Some of the riders here have used Harley Sportster shocks on the 650. You need to replace the bushings and they can be bought from someplace whose name escapes me at the moment.. Check ebay for cheap, like new HD shocks.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
10 Mar 2008 11:23 #199345 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Rebuilding original shocks
Keeping original is hard but it keeps the worth of the bike up. I was always told that the factory shocks on these old girls was bad after about 10 miles. That may be a little overstated. ;) But if you are looking for better shocks the progressives are a good bet. I put progressives on front and rear and get great handling and ride comfort. The Harley shocks lower the rear by about an inch but for my thought they are a little unforgiving. I'd get some new progressives and enjoy the ride. But remember 2 each their own! B)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
10 Mar 2008 18:48 #199440 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Rebuilding original shocks
The Harley shocks i used were sportster take offs (the cool thing to do is lower your sportster so they toss their OEM shocks with very low miles).

I think they lowered the rear end by a quarter inch; 13" as compared to 13.28"(i think).

I reused my old bushings; using a vise and some sockets to push them out of the KZ shocks then into the hardley shocks.

the one problem i encountered was the lower shock mount. The harley shocks are to wide. Some folks bend their lower shock mount, but I just tossed the sportster shock on my bench grinder (with the bushing removed!) and removed material until i had a good snug fit.

I have only taken the bike for one quick up and down the road trip, but all seemed well.

for $30 total, i think you would be hard pressed to find more bang for your buck. And they do look quite a bit like the originals as well...

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
11 Mar 2008 06:54 #199510 by Daedalus
Replied by Daedalus on topic Rebuilding original shocks
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll get a new pair (not sure what type) for riding and keep the originals just for show.

Cary, IL
1983 KZ 650 CSR