what is stock teeth size on rear sprocket - how to get stock gearing ratio?

More
03 Mar 2008 10:44 #198144 by elcid
Replied by elcid on topic what is stock teeth size on rear sprocket?
Wow didn't know that. I thought the opposite. Yes the chain is so tight, the only way to get it off would be to cut or remove either sprocket.

I have heard stories of guys lifting the front end on the bike & I want that! Mine starts out so slow. And has little power throughout. But that may be a carb issue (another thread I started).

I know the front sprocket was not changed. So I will need to find a rear 42 or just have my carbs rejetted/ tuned & then see how I like the performance then.

Thanks guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2008 14:29 #198185 by steell
Replied by steell on topic what is stock teeth size on rear sprocket?
To tight chain will eat up sprockets and trans output shaft bearing, so riding it is probably not a good idea. :(

KD9JUR

More
03 Mar 2008 14:58 #198189 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic what is stock teeth size on rear sprocket?
elcid wrote:

Wow didn't know that. I thought the opposite. Yes the chain is so tight, the only way to get it off would be to cut or remove either sprocket.

I have heard stories of guys lifting the front end on the bike & I want that! Mine starts out so slow. And has little power throughout. But that may be a carb issue (another thread I started).

I know the front sprocket was not changed. So I will need to find a rear 42 or just have my carbs rejetted/ tuned & then see how I like the performance then.

Thanks guys!

have heard stories of guys lifting the front end on the bike & I want that! --- then will be better to keep the larger 45 tooth rear sprocket. If both existing sprockets are in good condition, could install a new (longer chain) and see how you like the performance after getting engine power up to specs. When tired of popping wheelies :lol: could always later revert to a smaller rear sprocket (less teeth), and shorten the "new" chain a link or so if necessary.

Does the chain have a master-link that could be removed so as to enable removal of the overly tight chain? :unsure:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 Mar 2008 15:06 #198191 by elcid
Replied by elcid on topic what is stock teeth size on rear sprocket?
No freaking master link!! Who invented these types of chains - not user friendly.

I will do exactly that. I will just put the longer chain on & get the carbs all tuned up & see how it runs. Then decided if I want the stock sprocket or not.

Any of you guys able to life the front end? Do these KZ650 have that much power? The thing feels so weak!

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
03 Mar 2008 15:47 #198201 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic what is stock teeth size on rear sprocket?
You need to get your carburetor issues sorted out. A KZ650 should have plenty of power, more than enough to do wheelies.

A lot of riders, myself included, switch to a smaller back sprocket because we actually want to go places, and lowering the revs on the highway means better gas mileage, high top speed, and longer engine life.

I grew out of wheelies about the time I started shaving...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"