Another GS1100 Swing arm question

More
28 Feb 2008 20:33 #197452 by toadson
Another GS1100 Swing arm question was created by toadson
I bought a swingarm recently from an 81 Kz1000 to put on my 79 Kz1000 LTD, and turns out the thing is 1/8" too wide to fit inbetween my frame, and it would be way too much work to get it to fit properly. I've been debating whether to get a stock KZ1000 swingarm or to go ahead and spend the money for the GS1100 swingarm.
Seems like the average price Ive seen so far is $100+, which seems a little high to me, but who knows. My only concerns at this point is how involved the swap gets. I know you need spacers for the pivot shaft to fit between the frame, not a big deal. All of the swap threads I see make it sound like you can use the stock KZ axle and pivot bolt, which I all have of course. Longer shocks are needed, also not a big deal, but am I missing something here? Some people want wide tires on the back, and talk about getting offset sprockets, but if I stick with a stock size tire can I keep the stock sprockets? I'm probably going to keep this bike for quite a while, and thought it would be worth doing this mod in case I ever decide to building the engine for more power later on down the road. I just dont want to get the swing arm and have it sitting around until I can locate all the small parts I might need. My bike has been sitting in the garage with no rear swing arm for over a week now, I'd like to get it rolling again! Thanks!

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2008 20:51 #197461 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic Another GS1100 Swing arm question
It is a very easy mod,gotta use suzuki shocks yes, and you gotta use the suzuki axle. The kz axle isnt long enough,i have done this to 3 of my old kz's. I have a gs swingarm for sale for 85$ with the axle.

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
28 Feb 2008 21:16 #197462 by ZeeEuro
Replied by ZeeEuro on topic Another GS1100 Swing arm question