Fork Oil Change

More
22 Feb 2008 08:25 #196253 by Link14
Fork Oil Change was created by Link14
2M4Dale isn't alone when it comes to cruddy forks.

My daughter and I decided to change the fork oil last night. First time since I bought the bike in Sept. She was pretty excited about helping out (or at least happy to get out of homework).

Pulled the drain screws and watched black crude dripple out. Knew this wasn't going to be good.:pinch: When we pushed down on the front to "pump" the remaining fluid out....something came flying out, but it wasn't fluid. Fortunately after reading the "Note to self" thread, neither Cassie or I were standing the the way.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2008 08:29 #196254 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Fork Oil Change
Here's a close up of the "stuff". Cassie thinks it's like the black gunk from the Spiderman 3 movie.:P Fortunately, everything else went ok, except the schrader valve at the top of my left fork get chewed up. Hoping I can find a replacement.

Attachments:

More
23 Feb 2008 18:25 #196524 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Fork Oil Change
Whats up man? Haven't been up to date with you recently. I see you got yourself a bigger bike now, but not as big as mine, yet! I see that brown glob you got out of your fork(nasty). I had lots of black oil pour out of mine, in fact it was almost silver or gray. I took my forks off and worked those things up and down and repeatedly flushed it with fresh oil till it was clear. I will do that again later on this year, I don't need anythingelse failing on me this year. I am selling the 650 to a guy who works around the block from me. That bike has given me to much trouble while I ownd it. Probably put more money into fixing it than riding it.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
23 Feb 2008 19:38 #196550 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Fork Oil Change
Link14 wrote:

....Fortunately after reading the "Note to self" thread, neither Cassie or I were standing the the way...

:woohoo: :laugh:

Yeah, I had brownish-blackish gunk in one of my fork legs, and silvery gunk in the other. I figured one was rust from moisture (from a bad seal) and the other was aluminum grindings (from lack of oil, due to bad seal). I swear it's like a monkey owned these things before we did!
:whistle: ;)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
23 Feb 2008 19:41 #196551 by kzwolfsr
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
24 Feb 2008 08:29 #196636 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Fork Oil Change
Would say it is just water, rust and dirt. Water and dirt get through the bad fork seals. Those air forks can get water in depending on how you air charge them too though.

Buy an extra bottle of fork oil and waste some flushing more of that out if you're not replacing the seals this time. Loose rust acts like a polishing compound. Don't expect the air charge to hold though until you rebuild the forks though IMHO.

How'd the schrader get messed up?

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
24 Feb 2008 14:55 #196753 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Fork Oil Change
If you use gas station/convenience store air chances are your gettin water as most of them dont wanna invest the $$$ for a dryer.

More
01 Mar 2008 22:03 #197856 by kzwolfsr
I hear ya LTD