fork caps

More
16 Feb 2008 21:08 #195037 by davjour
fork caps was created by davjour
I had a not so good mechanic replace my fork seals. Later I tried to replace my fork caps with new ones and I can't get the old ones out. I don't know how he got them so tight but I can't get the old ones out. I've loosened the pinch bolts, (completely removed the bolts), lowered the front end so the top of the forks are completely above the top pinch bolts. I've tried a breaker bar, torque wrench, impact driver, large vice grips, Still can't get them to budge without rounding off the nuts. Anyone have any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2008 22:03 #195044 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic fork caps
see if you can get a box end wrench on there,less likely to round em off then slide a pipe over it if need be;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Feb 2008 05:56 #195064 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic fork caps
Sounds like you have used all the normal tools of destruction on them. PLUMMEN suggested a pipe wrench in another thread and it sounds like your the next to use this final solution. Get used to the fact that you may need to get some new caps. Hope that they were not cross threaded. I have also had some luck with a item called PB Blaster. I just spray it on and let it "worry" for a day or so. Maybe spray it a couple of times. Also a lil' heat cant hurt. But be careful not too much. I know my air fork caps have a nice thick O-Ring and I wouldn't want it melted all down in the forks.
GLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
17 Feb 2008 06:05 #195067 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic fork caps
You might want to ask your "mechanic" what he used to tighten them so tight. The tool he used to put them in so tight should be able to loosen them, unless he put locktite on them or cross threaded them.
Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Feb 2008 07:07 #195086 by davjour
Replied by davjour on topic fork caps
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I asked the mechanic what he used to get them so tight and all he said was, "I tightened them pretty good". I would take it back and tell him to loosen them but I'm afraid he'd mess something else up. I may try the box end wrench, but I used a socket and that just started rounding them off. The heads on the caps are pretty soft. I tried PB Blaster but it seemed like it just ran down the fork tubes. I may have to take the forks complelety off to get those caps off but seems like alot of work just to put on new nice looking fork caps.
I hope that guy didn't use locktite, but I wouldn't be surprised.

More
17 Feb 2008 07:55 #195096 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic fork caps
They don't have to be very tight at all. If he used locktight you can use a little heat to softend it up. Or you may have to use a pipe wrench which WILL grab tight, and as Plummen says maybe add a cheater bar. Let us know...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
17 Feb 2008 08:17 #195100 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic fork caps
Since you're replacing them, maybe an air impact...?

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

More
17 Feb 2008 08:41 #195103 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fork caps
Fortunately, any cross-threading usually happens to the male threads on the softer aluminum caps rather than the female threads inside the steel tubes.

If not already aware, here's the listing from Z1E.

Good luck with the repair! :)

New Caps

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Feb 2008 10:17 #195125 by davjour
I tried again today. Lowered the forks so that the caps were about 6 in. above the top pinch bolt. Completely backed out the pinch bolts. Tried PB blaster, air impact, 22 mm socket with cheater bar, pipe wrench with cheater bar. I think the guy might have used lock tight. I can't emagine the guy cross threaded both caps or used lock tite on them. Next time I try I'll put my heat gun to them. Nothing to lose at this point. :( :(

More
17 Feb 2008 10:55 #195133 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic fork caps
If you have the caps 6in above the top pinch bolt then tighten that bolt. The fork being loose would absorb a lot of the impacts power, the cap is maybe 1 1/2 inches into the tube? Lower fork till upper pinch is just below that and tighten. The pinch bolt just clamps the tube, doesn't really tighten on cap much, but have it just below in case I'm wrong. But having fork held solid will allow all torque to concentrate on impact socket!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
17 Feb 2008 11:08 #195138 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fork caps
Heat wll expand aluminum cap more than steel tube, result being to perhaps tighten rather than loosen the fitting.

Maybe try freezing cap with dry ice just before attempting to break it loose with air impact or pipe wrench.

Fingers crossed for you. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Feb 2008 18:57 #195238 by davjour
I appreciate all the excellent tips and advice and I've tried about all. It's back to work tomorrow so I probably won't give it another try until next week end. Next time I'm going to try the dry ice on the cap (if I can find any)and lower the forks just below the bottom of the cap, about 2" then tighten the upper pinch bolt. Fortunately the seals were replaced about 2 months ago and the fork oil replaced at that time. I just don't want to do anything dumb that would put my bike out of commission. If I ever get these things off I'll make sure I let all of you fine Kaw lovers know.
I also own an '07 Electra Glide Ultra Classic and I have more fun with my old Kaw. I love it!:S