GS1100 Swingarm Coversion

More
11 Feb 2008 13:58 #194020 by brich
GS1100 Swingarm Coversion was created by brich
Hi guys .. been a while since I posted.

I managed to score a 80something GS1100 swingarm to put on my Z1. I also got the shocks from one too. I am pairing this up with a Lester drum brake mag in the rear.

My questions are:

Any advice on how to go about welding the mount on the swingarm for the drum brake stay arm? I don't have a welder so I am going to have to outsource this job. Anyone know of anyone who has done this before? Anyone want to take the job on? I pay well.

Also, anyone know what the widest back tire I can fit on that Lester mag in that swingarm is? It is a 16" mag.

Thanks,
Brian

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2008 14:05 #194022 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic GS1100 Swingarm Coversion
brich wrote:

Hi guys .. been a while since I posted.

I managed to score a 80something GS1100 swingarm to put on my Z1. I also got the shocks from one too. I am pairing this up with a Lester drum brake mag in the rear.

My questions are:

Any advice on how to go about welding the mount on the swingarm for the drum brake stay arm? I don't have a welder so I am going to have to outsource this job. Anyone know of anyone who has done this before? Anyone want to take the job on? I pay well.

Also, anyone know what the widest back tire I can fit on that Lester mag in that swingarm is? It is a 16" mag.

Thanks,
Brian

Hey Brian,
You may want to put your location in your signature, that will help us help you find a welder.
Don't know how wide the Lester is (2.15 like stock or wider?) but in my experience anything over a 140 will start crowning real bad on a narrow rim.
dutchz

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
11 Feb 2008 18:22 #194080 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic GS1100 Swingarm Coversion
if youre using a disc brake rear wheel you can use the stock suzuki mount,if you want to use the bottem mount for a drum brake style wheel you need to find a shop that does fab and aluminum work;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Feb 2008 18:02 #195218 by brich
Replied by brich on topic GS1100 Swingarm Coversion
Thanks .. added my location to my signature. I'm in Somerset NJ.

So right now I have DID aluminum spoke rims on the bike. I bought all the parts to swap to a rear disk so I been thining about doing that. Figure I will need to make some sort of bracket to mount the master cylinder.

Then I got a set of Lester rims but the rear is a drum. I like the Lester for the front cause it is a 6 bolt rotor pattern and I have some awesome drilled 6 bolt rotors (see my Wicked Bad Rotor post).

So I wonder .. i may try to mix the front Lester with the rear Enki (sp?) rim. See if it looks OK. Were there any rear Lester wheels made with a disk?

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
17 Feb 2008 18:33 #195229 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic GS1100 Swingarm Coversion
not sure about the rims but a 77-78 kz1000 rear master cylinder will not clear a stock z1 style sidecover,when i did mine origionally i used a 80 1000ltd master cylinder mounted in kz1000 location with a remote resevoir mounted where z1 tool tray goes behind battery box;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
18 Feb 2008 14:27 #195394 by brich
interesting ... i will keep that in mind if/when I go for the conversion. I think i recall seeing a photo documented conversion by Bohica Bob when I first signed up on KZ rider. I got to search for that too.

More
18 Feb 2008 19:18 #195447 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic GS1100 Swingarm Coversion
Check out the second link in my signature.

Post edited by: BohicaBob, at: 2008/02/18 22:19

More
18 Feb 2008 20:13 #195461 by brich
ahhh .. thank you kindly sir! Looks like a decent amount of work, and I somehow am going to need to make a bracket with my limited tools. It's a labor of love. :-)

By the way, I have a feeling I mentioned this before, but those are awesome looking rear shocks.

More
19 Feb 2008 17:22 #195667 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic GS1100 Swingarm Coversion
Make a test bracket out of thick cardboard first. Get everything worked out (placement and alignment of the rear brake master cylinder and remote reservoir, brake lever and linkage, etc.) then duplicate the test bracket in metal.

It's not that hard to do. You said it, it's a labor of love.:)