Recently rebuilt front brakes-different feel..

• Grantl
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
06 Feb 2008 11:06 #193133 by Grantl
Hi folks,
I recently rebuilt my front calipers and master cylinder, and now the brakes feel way different. I took the bike out to road test the brakes and I notice that the brake lever now has a lot more travel. The bike stops well but requires a lot more pull on the lever. I have bled (repeatedly) the brakes and the lever is firm but becomes firm only at about halfway through the pull.
When I tore down the calipers and master cylinder there was a lot of sludge and jelly-like debris. Almost all of the rubber dustseals were flimsy and ready to fall apart. The master cylinder had been leaking for a long time.
I'm thinking that there was so much contamination in the system before I tore it down that it didn't have a lot of free movement--which is why I'm now noticing a lot more travel in the brake lever.
I have checked to make sure that the brake lever holds pressure, and it seems to be functioning correctly. My question is--am I missing something or is this just the way refreshed brakes will feel?

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2008 11:11 #193134 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Recently rebuilt front brakes-different feel..
Did you put new pads in also? Sometimes after pads seat in the feel will firm up some. I think you hit the nail on the head with your description, everytrhing works great, just feels different. I can't say I've gone from sludge to clean so can't help you there but if it is firm and stops as good or better than before I would ride it and get used to it. Just keep an eye on it.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
06 Feb 2008 19:30 #193188 by 650ed
The symptoms you describe "the lever is firm but becomes firm only at about halfway through the pull" sounds like you still have air in the brake system. These brakes are notoriously difficult to bleed completely without the aid of a pressure bleeder, but it can be done with patience. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)