Shock angle

• minutiesabotage
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jan 2008 08:29 #190225 by minutiesabotage
Shock angle was created by minutiesabotage
Does anyone know if there is a good reason Kawasaki did not angle the rear shocks vertical. My understanding of the geometry is that vertical is the most effective position.

I ask because when I put my new swingarm on, I am going to have to have someone make mounting points for the shock (I do not trust my welding skills to something that important), so I can pick whatever angle I want.

Ignore spring rates and shock length, I am going to have to get new shocks anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2008 08:53 #190227 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Shock angle
Vertical is the most effective only when the shock and swingarm are perpendicular to each other. As the swingarm moves upward, depending on howmuch travel you have, the shock can go past vertical and become less effective.

So designers placed the shock at an angle so as the swingarm moved through its arc and compressed the shock the shock moves more toward vertical and acts like it has a more progressive rate for a constant spring rate.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
20 Jan 2008 10:35 #190237 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Shock angle
StreetfighterKz wrote:

Vertical is the most effective only when the shock and swingarm are perpendicular to each other. As the swingarm moves upward, depending on howmuch travel you have, the shock can go past vertical and become less effective.

So designers placed the shock at an angle so as the swingarm moved through its arc and compressed the shock the shock moves more toward vertical and acts like it has a more progressive rate for a constant spring rate.

Later, Doug

what he said!:P

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• minutiesabotage
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jan 2008 16:24 #190265 by minutiesabotage
Replied by minutiesabotage on topic Shock angle
I knew that, I was just testing you