ZX6R(636) Steering Stem to KZ900

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jan 2008 04:23 #189526 by Old Man Rock
ZX6R(636) Steering Stem to KZ900 was created by Old Man Rock
Hey all,

With the rear ZX6RR swing arm swap complete, now onto the front end.

Thanks to all regarding previous postings on how to remove the KZ steering stem... Grind the weld ~ 1/4" and tap it out. Didn't require a press! B)

ZX lower tree issues: The KZ steering stem is 26mm and the tree opening is 38mm. The ZX stem seems to be high grade aircraft aluminum, I think it is at least.

Questions:
1) Do I have the ZX Billet stem milled to the KZ stem dimensions and threading or will I loose some of it's strength in doing so?

2) Is it better to have a whole new hardened steel KZ stem fabricated with the base being wider 38mm for pressing into the ZX lower tree?

NOTE: 1/2" longer due to grind & tripple tree base thickness.

3) Is it safe to just have a 36mm tree plug w/26mm hole fabricated? (Press and weld bottom end to plug)

Obviously some of these choices = higher costs $$$.

Ideas that others have done & if someone can provide somewhat of an idea of what I can expect in $$$ in having a stem fabricated would be awesome.

Thanks,

Old Man Rock

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2008 06:54 #189544 by steell
Replied by steell on topic ZX6R(636) Steering Stem to KZ900
You don't want to machine the aluminum stem, it will weaken it.

You don't need, and don't want a hardened steel stem, hardening only strengthens the steels wearability, and stems don't wear, hardening also makes the steel more brittle, and you most certainly don't want that.

If you have a lathe you can turn a new stem out of mild steel to the dimensions you require, if not then a machine shop can make you one.

3) Is it safe to just have a 36mm tree plug w/26mm hole fabricated? (Press and weld bottom end to plug)

That would work also.

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.