Bearing Race Removal

More
04 Jan 2008 06:54 #187623 by Norseman
Bearing Race Removal was created by Norseman
Hi and Happy New Year to all! Hoping you can help me out with steering bearing race removal. Both bearings and races need to be replaced, and I don't have the fancy Kaw tool. What's the best way to remove the races from the head pipe? Appreciate your insight and advice!

And BTW, the bike's down to the bare frame.

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2008/01/04 09:55

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2008 07:13 #187626 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Bearing Race Removal
I'm not kidding, but use a large punch and a BFH...really. Set the punch on the edge of the race and work your way around.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
04 Jan 2008 08:03 #187632 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Bearing Race Removal
And use BFH on punch, not on FINGER. Last bearing I replaced I swung at the punch and not only did I miss the punch 100%, I 100% hit my thumb with the hammer. That's when you look down and say "Do I still have all 5 fingers albeit covered in blood"?

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
04 Jan 2008 08:52 #187636 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Bearing Race Removal
Also, as when knocking out any race with a hammer and punch, you want the headstock braced against something solid or blocked up so there is no movement of the headstock itself when you hit the punch. It makes it much easier.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
04 Jan 2008 21:39 #187717 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Bearing Race Removal
Thank you, Gentlemen! I admit I did do a search before asking, but still wanted to confirm my understanding of this rather brutish method:S

I thank you for the tips as well, especially the finger one. Having had the dubious honor of swinging a small 5 pound sledge hammer, missing the target but not the little finger on left hand, I will no doubt heed your admonishment:P After pacing around the garage oh about seventy times and muttering theological terms no man had ever heard before, I finally looked down at what was now a rather strange-looking appendage and very flat and wet:blush: What's funny is I'll be using the same small sledge hammer as my BFH for this job:sick:

I guess my best bet is to turn the frame upside down to build a head pipe support for upper race removal, and then right-side frame and use a 2x6 to support for lower race removal...

Thanks again, I now have the confidence needed.

Walter