advice re: cleaning throttle cable elbows

More
31 Dec 2007 15:28 #187148 by primemover
advice re: cleaning throttle cable elbows was created by primemover
Hi All...

not sure where this question might fit best, so i figured i would put it here (please tell me to move it if appropriate).

I'm working on the front end of a KZ400 (redid the front brakes couple weekes back).

I'm now moving on to the right handle bar controls (throttle, housing assembly, etc...).

I've gotten mostly everything pulled apart, but am unsure how i can (if even possible) get the chromed elbows off of the throttle cables (there are 2, 1 for accel, one for deccel). I suspect that there is NO WAY to get these elbows off for cleaning purposes (i.e., they prob come with the cables already inserted), but i just wanted to check none-the-less.

The cables themselves look good (thought they prob are original and the bike could benefit from replacing them).

Thoughts?

thanks...

(and a happy 2008!)

- prime

Post edited by: primemover, at: 2007/12/31 18:42

Post edited by: primemover, at: 2007/12/31 18:43

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
31 Dec 2007 16:01 #187155 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic advice re: cleaning throttle cable elbows
Once the little "barrels" are molded onto the cable ends, those elbows are there to stay.

I'm guessing that you wanted to clean out the inner portions of those elbows?
If so, you should be able to just flush some WD-40 through them a few times, then follow it with compressed air, and finally relube the cables with an appropriate (WD-40 disipates water nicely but truely isn't a lubricant, so I don't recommend using it as such) cable lube. :)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/12/31 19:03

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
01 Jan 2008 14:39 #187256 by primemover
Replied by primemover on topic advice re: cleaning throttle cable elbows
thanks...

that is what i thought (re: there to stay!)...

but i guess there is no harm in soaking the elbow ins WD-40 (to help clean them in and out)...

i'll use air (as you suggested) and lube with proper lube.

thanks...

- prime