Cleaning Master Cylinder

More
17 Dec 2007 18:02 #185493 by HerrDeacon
Cleaning Master Cylinder was created by HerrDeacon
I just took apart the front master cylinder from my '78 650 and man is it nasty in there! There is lots of rust coloured gunk, and after I took off the plastic reservoir there was a lot of sawdust looking stuff. No idea what it is.

Anyway, I was wondering what is safe to use to clean this out? Should I stick with just using brake fluid or can I use anything? Can I run the whole assembly under water? I know water is bad for brake fluid, but I won't be installing if for quite a while so it will be completely dry by then. I'm thinking there must be rubber parts in there so I don't want to use anything to damage them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2007 04:50 #185554 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Cleaning Master Cylinder
if its that bad, you need to take it all apart and replace the rubber parts
you can use brake cleaner or carb cleaner and the piston bore may need some attention

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
18 Dec 2007 10:03 #185590 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Cleaning Master Cylinder
Try to use brake fluid and a brush first, before any other chemicals. Some carb cleaners may hurt the rubber parts. I have used isopropyl alcohol to clean my master cylinder with no problem. I don't know if denatured alcohol will harm the rubber parts, so unless some one else knows stay away from denatured alcohol.

On a 78 650 (if you have the trapezoid shaped cylinder) then the rebuild parts are hard to find. Redline Cycle has a page of master cylinder rebuild kits, and one is listed for a 1000 A model. That is the one to use. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: I notice you have the dual disc so it's easier to get parts. Here is the link, compare your old parts to the pictures. You'll probably need the first or second kit shown.

tinyurl.com/36d9sd

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2007/12/18 13:24

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
18 Dec 2007 11:21 #185597 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Cleaning Master Cylinder
Thanks guys, great info. I never had time to take it fully apart last night, hope to tonight so I can see what needs replacing. Thanks for the link OKC_Kent, never realized it would be that expensive for a couple of small parts :)

Thanks again.

• MSGAmling
  • User
  • Its better to burn out than it is to rust
More
20 Dec 2007 15:56 #185871 by MSGAmling
Replied by MSGAmling on topic Cleaning Master Cylinder
When I went to change the brake fluid in my 81 650 this year, the master cylinder looked pretty funky (no sawdust looking stuff though), plus I had to drill out the screws for the cover, after rounding them out with an impact driver. I found another, cheap, on e-bay, and bought that before I screwed around with one on the bike.

The original had been working well, so I decided to see if it could be revived. Plus the replacement I got, needed to have the brake light switch configured differently. First I put a sheet of plastic over the tank, just in case of a spill. I used a 5mm tap to chase the threads in the original screw holes, I suctioned out the old fluid, blocked the holes draining to the piston at the bottom of the resivour, and then cleaned out the inside with paper towels and Q-tips. After the inside was cleaned well, I refilled it with fresh DOT 3 brake fluid. I put a clear hose to a container from the caliper bleed valve, opened it half a turn, and started pumping in the fresh fluid. The old stuff came out looking pretty nasty. After it finally came through clear for a while, I topped it back off, and it seems to be working pretty well. I'll have to get it on the road for a while to see if there is any fade, or if it won't hold pressure, but it seems pretty good for now. It's surprising how resiliant some of these old parts are.

81 KZ650H CSR (Stock except WG Coil Mod and Air Injector elimination)
80 Yamaha DT125G Enduro
81 KZ440 Stock
76 Honda CR250M Elsinore - Sold
80 Honda XR200 - Sold

More
20 Dec 2007 16:34 #185875 by HerrDeacon
Thanks MSGAmling. I have mine completely off the bike and disconnected from the caliper. I figure I should first clean out the sawdust stuff first. I'll then do as you mentioned and pump through some clean fluid to flush everything out. I'll also see at that point how well it's working. Hopefully it will be fine and I won't have to buy a rebuild kit.

Thanks.

More
20 Dec 2007 18:01 #185881 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Cleaning Master Cylinder
I understand the not wanting to rebuild idea, but think about this, its your butt on the bike, and no brakes or not so good brakes, or even worse, brakes that fail when you need them,not a good idea.
I would rethink rebuilding the brakes, a few bucks now may save your butt later

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 Dec 2007 02:28 #185910 by quader98
Replied by quader98 on topic Cleaning Master Cylinder
BSKZ650 wrote:

a few bucks now may save your butt later

yea,your not in a cage,that thing you dent could be your head

Ernie from central jersey
82 GPZ 750 R1
looking to part out my 81 KZ750E2

More
21 Dec 2007 03:57 #185915 by HerrDeacon
Oh I totally agree with you. I'm not going to risk myself because of a few bucks. With that said, I'm not going to rebuild it either if it doesn't need attention. I finished cleaning it last night and visually everything looks to be ok. I'll get it put back on the bike and see how it operates.