the ugly, the bad and the good (piston removal)

More
11 Dec 2007 13:22 #184587 by primemover
Hi All...

Well after reading through the various suggestions, i jumped in to try and get the darn piston out of this 1978 KZ400 caliper. Here is how things progressed.
(note: i do not have access to an air compressor)

The Ugly - Option 1 (Fill brake system and pump it out):

This probably would have worked had my crush washers not been leaking all over the place. Brake fluid here, there everywhere! Bottom line, i could not get a good bleed so i could not build any pressure. A bonus in trying this first, was that i got to RUIN the paint job of my mast. cyl.

The Bad - Option 2 (Baking Soda and Vinegar):

This too probably would have worked if i could have gotten a good seal on the brake line screw hole in the caliper (had made a plug with friendly plastic - but i could just not get it to hold in the increased pressure, or i was not adding enough baking soda or vin.)

The Good - Option 3 (the ICE method)

This was the idea of putting some water inside the caliper and letting it freeze (the water would expand and push the piston out). Well, i'm happy to report that this method WORKED LIKE A CHARM (and i wish i had done it first). Indeed, it took some time (~8-10 cycles of add some water, freeze, thaw, add more water, freeze... etc). But, slow and steady won this race! Each freeze cycle pushed the piston out ~1-2 mm. Sure, it was slow, but it did not require anything more than water, a freezer and a little patience!

the piston is now out and am cleaning things up (see other post).

Also, i cannot see any reason why this ice method can cause a prop.

anyway...

time to clean up the caliper (repaint it) and order some parts!

- prime

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.