• JMKZHI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Nov 2007 06:08 - 22 Feb 2013 12:07 #182280 by JMKZHI
. was created by JMKZHI
=
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 12:07 by JMKZHI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2007 06:24 #182290 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Tire tube patch
I would not patch a tube unless it was something to get me home, just dont trust them.
I have found it much easier to pay the man to change tubes tires ect, it addition they balance the wheels also,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
23 Nov 2007 06:25 #182292 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Tire tube patch
I've repaired many tubes in my lifetime. Everything they say is correct. I've never used alcohol but do scuff the area. I just put a thin layer of cement down, it dries fast. Apply patch (leave tube relaxed) but I've always had a ribbed wheel that allows me to go back and forth and really compress patch into cement. Yes, it's simple. A lot of people don't like to patch motorcycle tubes for safetys sake but I've done countless auto tires with perfect results loooong time ago. ;)

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/11/23 09:25

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• JMKZHI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Nov 2007 06:44 - 22 Feb 2013 12:08 #182296 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
=
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 12:08 by JMKZHI.

• JMKZHI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Nov 2007 07:09 - 22 Feb 2013 12:07 #182302 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
=
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 12:07 by JMKZHI.

More
23 Nov 2007 07:26 #182307 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Tire tube patch
I've done many too and just like bluemeanie says, thats really all you need to do exactly like the instructions say. The trouble with patches that I've done over the years is sometimes they seal, sometimes they seem to seal, but have a slow leak giving you a flat tire the next morning. The majority of my patching was done on bicycle tubes. Brings me to another one of my stories. Summer of 1974 a friend and I had the exact same bike, ran the exact same tires and rode everywhere together basically. I think I had at least 20 flat tires that summer as we have a lot of thorns that were not kind to bicycle tires back then, he had zero flats. That's my luck in this world.:angry:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Nov 2007 07:54 #182313 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Tire tube patch
JMKZHI wrote:

Sheesh. I considered prefacing my original post with a longer disclaimer... I knew some folks here would chime in with...

I would not patch a tube unless it was something to get me home, just dont trust them.
I have found it much easier to pay the man to change tubes tires ect, it addition they balance the wheels also,

As the original post indicates, the patch is intended as a TEMPORARY FIX until I can figure out how to install a NEW tube without ruining it. Temporary meaning so that I can roll the bike outside to fire it up. I'll risk riding a patch around the neighborhood. Let me decide if I want to pay someone to do the tire. JMK.

Someone have a rought holiday or what???? :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B) B)

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
23 Nov 2007 19:21 #182402 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tire tube patch
"....until I can figure out how to install a tire without ruining a new tube."

I don't get it. If you can't install a tube without punching holes in it, why patch it? Won't you just end up with new holes in different places after you get the tube in? Then you would need to pull the tube out, patch the new holes, etc. Eventually your tube would be covered with patchs. :P

Why not just get a new tube and have someone show you the correct way to install it? It's really not difficult (but it takes a little patience.) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
23 Nov 2007 19:55 #182403 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Tire tube patch
JMKZH1:

I'll be glad to do the installation for you. Heck, I'll ride all the way to your house if you prefer.

A little "inside humor" for everyone. Found out about 2 weeks ago that there are two of us on the same street, about a block apart, and we have the same motorcycle, except for a one year difference in year model.

It just don't get no better than that.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
23 Nov 2007 20:06 #182404 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Tire tube patch
Definitely would not use any solvent to clean it. I've used b-12 because it wasn't sure if I had cleaned the area good enough with the scuffer... not good. Just make sure you scuff all the way down to clean rubber, lay it flat (with ALL the air out) and like bluemeanie said, use a patch roller on it. if you can't find one, use a blunt rod, or you can get rollers at the hardware store for installing window screen wire. They work. Just use plenty of localized pressure and start from the middle and work your way out.

With a little dish water on the bead for lube, you should be able to mount one side of the tire by hand without tools, then you stuff the tube in, and using a hand pump, preferably, inflate it just enough so it doesn't wobbble. (you should have already dunked your repair in water to check for leaks). I haven't figured out an easy way to get the locks in, but on mine I run the other bead over the rim (with the tube partially inflated, it stays out of the way if you don't get too deep with your irons.) and then try to squeeze the tire over enough to get the locks stabbed in the hole.

Maybe someone could help out with a tutorial on that. Regardless of the wisdom in repairs, they are something most of us do come across occasionally.:P :P

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
24 Nov 2007 07:19 #182436 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic Tire tube patch
JMKZHI wrote:

As the original post indicates, the patch is intended as a TEMPORARY FIX until I can figure out how to install a NEW tube without ruining it. .

When you put the tube inside the tire, put some air in it to give it the round shape (not pounds of air, just enough to give it shape) Lube the second bead and carefully pry it on.
When the tube has no air in it, it lays flat inside the tire/ against the rim and is very likely to pinch. When the tube has a round shape (with some air in it) the tire irons are more likely to slide off the tube with out puncturing it.
Works MOST of the time.
FIsh

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/11/24 10:19

More
24 Nov 2007 09:46 #182462 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Tire tube patch
The Fish wrote:

JMKZHI wrote:

As the original post indicates, the patch is intended as a TEMPORARY FIX until I can figure out how to install a NEW tube without ruining it. .

When you put the tube inside the tire, put some air in it to give it the round shape (not pounds of air, just enough to give it shape) Lube the second bead and carefully pry it on.
When the tube has no air in it, it lays flat inside the tire/ against the rim and is very likely to pinch. When the tube has a round shape (with some air in it) the tire irons are more likely to slide off the tube with out puncturing it.
Works MOST of the time.
FIsh<br><br>Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/11/24 10:19

Just to clarify, put air in the tube, then remove the valve core to let the air escape. The tube should remain shaped basically like the tire minimizing pinching possibilitys. You're not going to get the tire mounted if you leave any air in the tube. Another question is the tire lube. I've done it many a time and I really think I prefer putting the tire on dry. The reason is many times if lubed, you can lever the tire on and it's so slippery it just unmounts itself as soon as you remove the lever. A million different ideas on tire mounting I'm sure. Whatever works for you is all that matters. It's been probably 50 tires back or more since I pinched one.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.