Swapping out SR 16\" for 18\"

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Nov 2007 20:52 #180795 by xstreamcanadian
Swapping out SR 16\" for 18\" was created by xstreamcanadian
I have a 79 SR 650, I changed out the whole riding style of her and the cruiser setup of a 19 inch in front and 16 in back really doesnt work. I have two 18" rear mags off of my other kaws, they look to be a sure fit, and functionally only a couple of bearings are different, is there any reason that I cant do this(before I commit and get a tire and bearings etc)

Any help as always is appreciated

xc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2007 02:29 #180812 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Swapping out SR 16" for 18"
No problem at all I just did the exact opposite on my bike I placed a 16" rear from a 650 on a GPZ1100 so I can accommodate a wider tire. You will probably notice a little quicker response with your bike because the 18" wheel with the smaller tire is liter. I do not know which kind of front end you have on your bike, but if the front axel is not below the forks and is instead mounted on the front of the down tube, That is the biggest change to go to. The lower mounting of the axel sets the wheel farther back by about two inches and hence changes the steering angle by a few degrees, this makes the bike handles much better. I have the tendency to believe that you have the front mounted axel because you mentioned you have a 19" front wheel. Go on eBay and get a different front end from either a 650 or a 750. The complete fork tubes are enough, you do not have to change the triple tree. You will also have to change the front brake caliper mounting plates to accommodate the different caliper mounting position. They are also very reasonable on eBay. I did these mods when I made my KZ1000CSR into a GPZ1100. take a look at the thread. kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...w/id,169462/catid,2/ At the time of the pictures I have already swapped out the wheels and front forks.

Post edited by: otakar, at: 2007/11/13 05:32

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Nov 2007 19:08 #180935 by xstreamcanadian
Replied by xstreamcanadian on topic Swapping out SR 16\" for 18\"
my front wheel and forks are fine, great actually, I had the fork pressed and put new seals in etc, so that is good and not changing. Dont you find the geometry off with a flatish bar running a small diameter rear wheel? that setup was designed for cruiser bars and a laid back stance, that is my concern, since youre riding it, no one would know better, your response is very much appreciated.

xc