Steering Lock

More
08 Nov 2007 07:05 #180107 by HerrDeacon
Steering Lock was created by HerrDeacon
I picked up a 1978 KZ650 about a month ago and found that the ignition key doesn't fit in the steering lock. Is this normal? Are they two separate keys? They guy I bought it off only had the one key so I assume it was lost over the years. I'm guessing you can buy a new steering lock assembly?

Do you guys use the steering lock at all? I'm new to motorcycles :P I'm guessing its used as a theft deterrent, or is it to make the bike more stable when parked?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2007 07:41 #180110 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Steering Lock
On Your bike,is the steering-lock under the bottom triple-tree?
Mine is,and yes,I got a new one years back,from the Dealership.I think I paid around $30 for it.And it came with 2 keys(that obviously weren't the same as the ignition key).

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
08 Nov 2007 07:42 #180111 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Steering Lock
From factory one key fits ign, gas cap, seat lock, and fork lock. It is supposed to be a anti theft thing. Does key work in seat lock? (gas cap is not "keyed", you can open that with a pocket screwdriver) He may have replaced ign switch (new key) Most guys here don't use fork lock. I used too until I unlocked fork at resterant and forgot to remove key and turned handle bars and snapped key off in lock 50 mi from home!! I got lucky with a twig (yes, wood twig) got broken piece out and pushed into ign and inserted rest of key and actually started the bike! I was a moron but never used fork lock after that. I now carry a strong pad lock and just put it thru outer holes in front rotor. Works great!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
08 Nov 2007 08:23 #180115 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Steering Lock
Thanks Sandy and Bluemeanie. My lock is between the two trees on the left side. My ignition key fits in the helmet lock but won't turn. Not sure if that's because its the key or if the lock is seized up. I didn't realize that about the gas cap, pretty funny. Good point about the steering lock, I could see myself doing what you did. I probably won't bother to use it. I'll probably pick one up if they are that cheap just in case I need to use it. It'll be a different key than the ignition then anyway so I won't have the same situation that you had Bluemeanie. Pretty Macgyveresque to get it running :P

More
08 Nov 2007 08:32 #180117 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Steering Lock
I'm not sure what you mean by "helmet lock." Are you talking about the keyhole under the left side of the seat? If you cannot unlock that one how do you open the seat to get to the battery? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Nov 2007 09:02 #180120 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Steering Lock
See if you can see the lock # on both the steering and seat/ helmet lock. I'd bet Sandy's last dollar they are the same # ;)
People lose their key or the ignition switch goes bad, and they replace the switch. So now they have three locks and need two keys ( one for the new switch and one for the steering lock and helmet/ seat lock ). In most cases the person only cares about riding the bike and doesn't care about the seat or the steering lock.
You can either buy a new matched set of three locks $$$ or try and have a new key cut for your other two locks or.. look on eBay for one.
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

More
08 Nov 2007 09:32 #180127 by HerrDeacon
650ed, the lock is stuck in the open position, so not an issue to open. I'm making my own cafe seat anyway so I have removed the lock and hinges. I'll check the numbers on both locks when I get home tonight to see if they are the same.

Thanks.

More
08 Nov 2007 10:11 #180129 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Steering Lock
Another problem with the lock beyond what's already been mentioned is many times you lock the forks slick as can be, then go to unlock and find it won't unlock. After much sweating and cussing normally it will eventually unlock so you can ride home. This happened to my cousin when he locked his forks at work one day, and we never did get the lock to unlock, but we did figure out what to do if this happens. Just grab the handlebars, turn real hard against the lock till it breaks is what we did. Some years later I bought a KZ650 for parts that had no key and the forks were locked. The guy said "no way to move it". I said "sure there is". Turned the bars and broke the lock.
A long winded story which basically just says don't bother using the lock.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
08 Nov 2007 14:36 #180167 by HerrDeacon
I think all of your past experiences have taught me to not even bother, sounds like it's not even worth the trouble.

Thanks for the heads up.