Throttle Cables....

More
02 Nov 2007 11:34 #179311 by CptEDIV
Throttle Cables.... was created by CptEDIV
Just got my 79 KZ 650 SR running,and my throttle cable snapped in the twist grip. I'm not sure if I had it routed right, or what I've done because this is the second one I've had to put on.. If anyone has any tips or hints... Tired of buying these things haha. Also had to replace the clutch cable, they aren't to reliable, are they..?
Thanks,
Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2007 21:14 #179393 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Throttle Cables....
I can tell you that the genuine Kawasaki cables (clutch and throttle) last about forever if you lube them once in a while (once every year or so). I replaced mine after 30 years with NOS just because I felt guilty about them being so old, but they would probably have lasted another 30. Did you have aftermarket cables? Were they lubed? If they were routed badly and had so much resistance they broke I would think the throttle and clutch would have been very "sticky." Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Nov 2007 00:12 #179397 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Throttle Cables....
Didn't feel sticky, the cable was only a week or two old. I didnt lube it though.. Whats a good way to do that? It was aftermarket... 13.00 on z1enterprises.com.
Thanks,
ed

More
03 Nov 2007 01:47 #179399 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Throttle Cables....
All the stuff I have bought from Z1Ent. was of good quality, completely suitable for the intended purpose and nothing has failed... yet.

Nothing should break in a few days whether lubed or not, especially one of the throttle cables which is not doing much pulling compared to the clutch cable. :huh:

I suggest you find out where it snapped, take a digital picture, e-mail it to Z1Ent. and give them a chance to replace, substitute or refund. This is their big chance to shine in the customer satisfaction dept. and that is the main reason I and many on this site prefer to deal with them and others like them. ;)

IMHO, they should return it to their supplier... this should never happen.

Best of success and let us know how this plays out... I am very curious. :dry:

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/11/03 04:49

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/11/15 19:48

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
03 Nov 2007 12:43 #179447 by CptEDIV
Alright.. I'll do that, thanks.. Hope it doesn't take too long I'm ready to ride...
-Ed

More
15 Nov 2007 07:21 #181156 by CptEDIV
Sorry it took so long to post again, they sent me a new throttle cable. I'm getting it today, and will put it on as soon as I get off work. Just curious, so the same thing doesn't happen again, any hints or tips on routing the cable, or hooking it into the throttle grip to get the very least resistance...? I had it run through the headlight holder, by the frame, under the gas tank, and into the carbs... I used silicone spray for a lube. Any tips are much appreciated, thanks.
-Ed
-Also, the cable seemed to be twisted a little...? Should the hand grip be turned in first, then the carb side hooked up? Thanks.

More
15 Nov 2007 08:11 #181167 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Throttle Cables....
Mine run the same way so your routing is correct. Still using mine from 27 years ago. Recently removed and lubed.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
15 Nov 2007 08:36 #181175 by CptEDIV
The inside metal cable is actually going the opposite way.. So the bend was at the carb side not the grip side. Also the end that broke seem twisted a little..?
Which side do you usually put in first? Want to get it just right..
Thanks,
Ed

More
15 Nov 2007 11:31 #181199 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Throttle Cables....
if I am reading this right,
The metal part goes to the grip side not the carb side. I put the carb side on first

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
15 Nov 2007 17:26 #181248 by bill_wilcox100
You got a replacement cable back from Z1... good stuff! B)

Check that your cable moves freely before you start routing/installing it. Check again once you have routed it. Finally, check again once you have installed it. It should always move freely otherwise there is a problem with the routing or the cable.

I route the two cables and then attach them at the twist grip end first followed by the carb end. Why because that's the way I did it the first time... that's all. :P

I can't see why it would make any difference which end you start with.

BTW, the adjustable/expandable part goes at the twist grip end... at least that's what I think was one of your questions. :unsure:

Rightly or wrongly, I just drip in a few drops of clean motor oil as a cable lubricant.

Best of success!

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
Montreal, Canada

More
15 Nov 2007 18:49 #181261 by CptEDIV
Thanks for the help, I tried posting a picture so it woulda made more sense, but it was too big and I was having a hard time making it smaller with MSPaint... Ill post up how it goes. I'm so ready to ride, spent all summer trying to get the damn thing together, and now that its winter I've got it nearly ready haha. Oh well.

-Ed

More
16 Nov 2007 08:17 #181321 by bill_wilcox100
Picture editor: I understand your frustation with MSPaint. A member recommended a program called IrfanView (FREE Download) for opening and re-sizing immages. I found it basic and easy to use and that as long as I reduced the width to 500 or less it fit on the KZR page. You can try this site if you are interested:

www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

By the way Ed, might be good to put your year, model and location in your signature. Could save would-be contributors some time in figureing out if they have information that might help out.

Best of success!

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
Montreal, Canada