Chain lubing?

More
29 Oct 2007 21:28 #178762 by The Milkman
Chain lubing? was created by The Milkman
I was repairing a snow blower at work the other day and needed a good grease for the shoot. I grabbed a small can of plumbers silicone grease. I had never used it before. This stuff is really, sticky and slippery. Has anyone every used it to lube a chain?
It seems like it would stick to the chain really well and lube good too.
Very little if any of my riding is done on dirt roads so dirt wouldn't be much of a problem. When I clean my chain I never felt any grittiness to what I wipe off.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2007 03:30 #178773 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Chain lubing?
Milkman
The problem is the preasure the lube has to withstand in the friction area where the chain comes in contact with the sprockets and also the penetration required to get it between the rolers and pins. It will stick to the chain but will squize out of the critical areas and will not provide the high strength film. I destroyed many a chain with these new Clear chain lubes. A good Molly chain lube such as Kal-Guard "chain kote" is one of the best and can't be beat. You would do a lot better by brushing on STP "motor hunny" than using silicone. A $200 chain plus sprockets, not to mention the work and mess it takes to replace them is not worth saving $2 on some chain lube. One big can of chain-kote lasts me all season about 10,000mi.

Otto Kudrna

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
30 Oct 2007 14:13 #178849 by dannyg40
Replied by dannyg40 on topic Chain lubing?
I agree......
I purchased a good can of spray chain lube at the bike shop. cant remember what it cost maybe $10 or something but it has lasted me a long time so far. The chain is something I just dont want to take a chance with. My buddy I work with was in a Coma for 6 motnhs from a bike accident he had about 12 years ago because his chain snapped. He had a ZX-11 and took excelent care of the bike. Carbs were shiny, ran like a swiss watch. The chain...... he would power wash it and lube it with a chain oil we use at work thats not "O-Ring chain" compatable. The chain snapped while he was doing 75 MPH on the highway. That chain is the most important. If your brakes go out, you can always downshift to slow to a stop, when the chain breaks and gets caught in the sproket, your rear wheel locks up and..... your in big trouble.

More
30 Oct 2007 15:38 #178858 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Chain lubing?
I'm sure everyone has their favorite chain lube. I've tried lots of different ones over the past 42 years, including different flavors of PJ1, but what works best for me is Maxima Chain Wax. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)