Steel info

More
22 Oct 2007 21:20 #177720 by Makarth
Steel info was created by Makarth
hey, i need a tid bit of help. I did a small search (i'll admit it wasn't too thorough) and couldn't find out what steel to use for my own frame bracing. Now I know 70's japanese steel isn't the greatest in quality but i also know not to use a mild steel. I talked to my instructor about it but he isn't quite sure. He told me to steer clear of high quality strength and hard steels like chrome-moly because it can potentially crack the frame. I really don't feel like just guessing what steel to use. Thanks in advance guys.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2007 23:31 #177730 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Steel info
I just got a 12x12 plate of 3/8 mild steel to cut up and use for bracing. I'm going to try and get it welded in this weekend. Remind me to let you know how it goes. I'll post pics when it's done.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
23 Oct 2007 04:21 #177749 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Steel info
Why don't you want to use mild steel? And all the pre-made brace kits are 4130 Chromoly. They've been making those kits for years and I've never heard a guy said his frame cracked.

I'm using 3/4" mild steel tubing (not sure the wall thickness) for most of my bracing on my Pro-street. I'm also using mild steel plate for the smaller brackets and the mono-shock linkage mounts.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
23 Oct 2007 07:29 #177777 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Steel info
The frame is mild steel, nothing special.
Mild steel is perfectly acceptable for frame bracing. I suspect the 4130 spec for frame bracing kits is just used for marketing, just like the "Billet" aluminum aftermarket parts sold.

KD9JUR

More
23 Oct 2007 10:09 #177812 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Steel info
ill see what happens with don because i get free mild steel at school. concerning 4130 i believe what my instructor was getting at was the fact that using a harder steel would put more stress on the bracing points and possibly causing fractures but really i think he was just kinda saying its overkill for the frames unless someone is using these frames for 130+ hp i dont think it matters other then the fact i don't wanna poor money into chrome-moly when i can pic up mild steel for free.
i agree with the marketing ploy.

More
23 Oct 2007 10:41 #177814 by Batman
Replied by Batman on topic Steel info
The frames of these bikes are 1" x 1/8" wall DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) mild steel. When welding in bracing, you want to use metal of similar strength/flex characteristic's to prevent the frame from cracking/failing due to stress. 4130 is much stiffer than mild steel and is not something that I would weld into a mild steel frame...you would be setting the frame up to fail.

Second thing to consider is the type of welding to be used. TIG is the preferred method, followed by MIG. The advantage to TIG is the control it allows of the heat and the weld penetration. You need complete penetration of the weld for strength, without too much heat to effect the structure of the parent metal. Any application of heat effects this structure, but too much causes weakness and the potential for stress cracking of the tube at the tube/weld join.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ROADSTAR

More
23 Oct 2007 10:55 #177816 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Steel info
looks like it'll be my TIG project then although my class is a little focused on oxy-acetylene but i could always preheat the frame. I'm not a big fan of MIG; I'm a little too methodical for it. That and i don't have a inert gas for my MIG welder.

More
23 Oct 2007 12:20 #177829 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Steel info
Have any old frames or pieces of frames laying around? Cut the pieces you need from those and the diameter would be the right size and the steel would be the same, so that shouldn't cause any problems. Right? I'm no expert on welding.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
23 Oct 2007 12:53 #177836 by Batman
Replied by Batman on topic Steel info
That'll work...DOM tubing is not that expensive though and you can source it at any metal shop.

More
23 Oct 2007 14:03 #177846 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Steel info
yeah id say mild steel,thats all i use but im basically cheap!:P stick,mig or tig will work depending on your skill level and what you have access to.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.