New Tires & a New Noise...

More
21 Oct 2007 04:47 #177345 by Little B
New Tires & a New Noise... was created by Little B
A local bike shop installed a set of Dunlop tires on my bike last week.

It is great to have tires that aren't in danger of popping! :blink: But, now I notice a squeak noise coming from the front of the bike. It most definitely was not there before the tire changes.

The squeak is intermittent but is audible about 80-90% of the ride regardless of if I'm accelerating, decelerating or coasting.

What should I be looking for? Is there something that commonly goes wrong with a bearing or something when tires are changed?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2007 06:46 #177357 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic New Tires & a New Noise...
Does the noise change when you hit the brakes? It's possible that they got some tire lube, greasy hand prints on the disc brake? Also, rim is mounted thru axle hole on tire machine, you may have to check bearing set up. You can install axle and rest each end on jack stands and spin for noise.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
21 Oct 2007 14:35 #177413 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic New Tires & a New Noise...
For starters, get the front end off the ground,, use center stand and jack up the front end and spin the tire and see if you can find where the source of the noise is. May be as simple as the speedometer cable not being mounted properly.
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
21 Oct 2007 21:11 #177485 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic New Tires & a New Noise...
Hey Guys, thanks for the help.

I don't recall if the noise changes when I apply the brakes or not. I do notice the noise when the breaks are not applied though.

Couldn't test it out today as Colorado Springs got its first snow storm today. I'll check it out on the next ride and report back.

I can try the center stand idea though so I'll give that a go tomorrow and let ya'll know what I find.

Thanks again!

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
22 Oct 2007 10:30 #177601 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic New Tires & a New Noise...
OK, I just put the front end up and spun the wheel. Yep it makes a noise. As best as I can tell it sounds like the right side brake pads are rubbing on the rotor but it could be the left as well.

I took a look at the calipers and the one on the right is more loose than the left one. When I say 'loose' I mean that it moves side to side not front to back.

Are the rotors supposed to rub slightly when the wheel is spinning? I had thought that the break pads should be completely disengaged from the rotor when the brake lever is not pressed...? :S

So, should I get the caliper to stop moving side to side and see what happens after that? If so, which bolts do I tighten down?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
22 Oct 2007 10:37 #177602 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic New Tires & a New Noise...
its supposed to touch but not drag. but im speaking in turns of automotive breaks as for bikes im sure its the same. As for what bolt to tighten im not to sure myself. I would just experiment until someone else chimes in with a better suggestion.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
22 Oct 2007 21:57 #177726 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic New Tires &amp; a New Noise...
I explored a little and found that the bolts that hold the calipers on and the other ones around that area are snug. So...I pulled out the shop manual and according to it, when the front tire is removed, at least one caliper has to be removed. Additionally, it said that when the caliper is taken off to put a wood wedge between the brake pads to keep them from accidentally moving.

So, I'm wondering if they got jarred or something like that. In order to check it I have to do a bunch of stuff so I'm going to hold off till the weekend when I'll have time for a potential big project.

Does anyone know if it is safe to spray some type of lubricant on the axle and if so, what kind?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
29 Oct 2007 21:34 #178763 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic New Tires &amp; a New Noise...
Well it turned out to be nothing. The squeaking noise went away after a good solid ride and using the brakes a good bit. My guess is that they just needed to 're-set' themselves...thanks for the help.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD