New front sprocket, no hole for lockwasher

More
18 Oct 2007 16:32 #176968 by alberto.f.a
New front sprocket, no hole for lockwasher was created by alberto.f.a
okay, so i'm putting my bike back together and i bought a new set of sprockets and a lock washer from z1, i went to go put on the new front sprocket and there is no hole for the lockwasher. what do i do? i can't easily make one since i lack the drill press and from the looks of the old sprocket i may just end up scrapping the new one since the hole is so close to where it mounts on the shaft. I'd imagine it's not so safe to run without it...right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2007 16:43 #176970 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic New front sprocket, no hole for lockwasher
I used red loctite instead of a washer, boy it was the hardest thing to remove a year later. I don't recommend red loctite, but maybe the light duty loctite will be ok, the stuff that is removeable.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
18 Oct 2007 19:19 #176998 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic New front sprocket, no hole for lockwasher
You can use loctite, but I'd recommend throwing the piece of crap away and buying a decent sprocket. Dennis Kirk sells Sunstar for a decent price which have the hole and are near 100% identical to the original. You can probably tell I hate aftermarket garbage when it is garbage! They shouldn't sell subpar parts regardless of price. I know I'm picky here, but I've had that sprocket come off over the years a few times even using loctite, and I wouldn't run without the lockwasher in place.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
18 Oct 2007 20:01 #177006 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic New front sprocket, no hole for lockwasher
RonKZ650 wrote:

You can use loctite, but I'd recommend throwing the piece of crap away and buying a decent sprocket. Dennis Kirk sells Sunstar for a decent price which have the hole and are near 100% identical to the original...

Been there.
This is now what I do.
I buy almost everything from z1enterprises.com, except sprockets, which I get from DennisKirk.com, for this very reason....

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
18 Oct 2007 20:38 #177013 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic New front sprocket, no hole for lockwasher
Same here, put 2 new Sunstar sprockets on and they fit perfectly, lock washer and all!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
18 Oct 2007 22:10 #177019 by alberto.f.a
Replied by alberto.f.a on topic New front sprocket, no hole for lockwasher
Well, Thanks a lot guys, I'm just gonna slap that thing on with some locktite and use that setup 'till my new sprocket gets here.

More
19 Oct 2007 10:21 #177080 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic New front sprocket, no hole for lockwasher
I have used 3M Weatherstripping Cement, the yellow stuff. Put a dab on the end of the threads sticking out past the sprocket nut. It will hold it. If you get any in the threads it might take a gorilla to wrench it off.

When I used Red Loctite on mine, it took 1 teenager standing on the brake pedal, 1 numbnuts holding the torch (me), and another teenager at the end of a 6ft pipe attached to a 1/2 breaker bar to get the sprocket off.

Do not use RED loctite.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
12 Dec 2007 12:59 #184754 by alberto.f.a
Replied by alberto.f.a on topic New front sprocket, no hole for lockwasher
Well, I placed the sprocket on my bike with that aid of some blue locktite a few months ago, and it has held up, i have taken the cover off to inspect the nut, and all is well.