Bleeding Brakes

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
More
17 Oct 2007 04:28 #176634 by BoZ650
Bleeding Brakes was created by BoZ650
Im currently setting up my brakes on a 77kz650.I converted it to dual disc front and rear disc brakes.Ive bled the brakes and to me feels like both the rear pedal and front brake levers feel "spongey".Any tips or suggestions.All parts are used but seem to be in good shape.It took a long time to get air out of front lines and the rear for that matter.Brakes seem to be grabbing ok but I havent run the bike yet.(Its not done).I just want to make sure its safe!

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2007 04:47 #176639 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Bleeding Brakes
you may need to start the bleed at the master cyl, and crack each fitting along the way, and tap on the lines and fittings,they move such a small amout of fluild that it can get some air trapped in a fitting and you will play hell getting it out

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
More
17 Oct 2007 04:50 #176641 by BoZ650
Replied by BoZ650 on topic Bleeding Brakes
Yeh, makes sense.I had to bench bleed both master cylinders several times each in order to help get air out but I didnt crack any other fittings.I have pressure at both levers and it holds.Its just spongey feeling.This normal?

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

More
17 Oct 2007 05:26 #176647 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic Bleeding Brakes
On my 650C1 (with dual disks), I couldn't get the air out even using a pressure bleeder until I did the following:
1. Remove a caliper and pads.
2. Press the piston in until it bottoms, forcing fluid back up into the master cylinder. I use a C clamp. Make sure the master cylinder doesn't overflow.
3. Remove the C clamp and work the brake lever to push the piston back out. Be careful not to push the piston out of the caliper.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 several times.
5. Repeat for the other caliper.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
17 Oct 2007 07:25 #176675 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Bleeding Brakes
I just did both of mine on the 1000. The rear wasn't bad at all but the front was a bit of a pain. I could pump out all of the brake fluid I wanted to from the bleed screws without any bubbles or foam, just pure brake fluid but I still didn't have any front brakes, the lever would come back to the grip without any resistance at all. I would get a tiny bubble once in a while to pop up in the master reservoir.

Solved the problem by unbolting the splitter for the dual fronts and tilting it so the line from the master was higher than the outs and pumped the lever a few times. There must have been a bubble in the splitter that would allow fluid to pass to the calipers but wouldn't go up or down. Haven't ridden the bike yet but it seems to have good brakes. I still will bleed the fronts again before taking it out on the road just to be sure.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)