kz900/1000 lowering blocks interchangeable on a 650 fork?

• infinitexsound
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Oct 2007 19:51 #175956 by infinitexsound
just wondering if the lowering blocks sold for the kz900/1000 would install into a kz650 front fork?
i realize, that i can purchase it and measure the od and id of the block.. but feel since all of you have attempted this of some sort with lowering blocks id ask before purchasing.

if there is a website that sells a kz650 lowering block already please list it.

this is for a 1977 kz650 SR

thanks
-bory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2007 20:25 #175966 by Patton
Several different style lowering blocks have been used to re-angle the rear shocks. Here's one example currently listed on eBay:

lowering block

I'm unaware of any type "lowering block" designed for using with front forks. Most folks lower the triple tree so the fork tubes protrude above the top clamps. Be extra cautious here as the steering geometry is changed which can become more prone to wobble.

Am guessing you'll be displeased with the shock lowering blocks because of the much harsher suspension (almost like struts).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Oct 2007 06:20 #175991 by Batman
This was my KZ1000 a couple of years ago before it became a rigid. It was lowered (I have short legs what can I say) by replacing the rear shocks with 2" shorter progressive shocks from my local bike shop (I still have the shocks if anyone is interested). I lowered the front end by loosening the pinch bolts on the upper and lower tripple clamps and sliding the fork tubes up 1". This can be seen in the picture below...
Attachments:

More
13 Oct 2007 07:02 #175998 by donthekawguy
schnitzracing.com has the lowering tubes for the front. I'm not sure if they will fit in the 650 forks. Give them a call and ask. If they don't know you can always buy a set and give them a try. They are only about $15. BTW I got a set because I don't like the look of the forks sticking up through the tripple tree.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125