Centerstand broke

• brianpclarke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Oct 2007 18:06 #175798 by brianpclarke
Centerstand broke was created by brianpclarke
So I go to get on my bike yesterday morning and roll it forward off the centerstand and the weld broke off on only the right side..... wondering if this anomaly has ever occurred with anyone else.... anyhow guess I will have to find someone to weld it back on... unless anyone has another recommendation

-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2007 19:05 #175812 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Centerstand broke
The whole mount broke off of my KZ650 taking a hunk of the frame tube with it. This was back in 1985. Been centerstand-less on that one ever since.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• brianpclarke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Oct 2007 19:32 #175815 by brianpclarke
Replied by brianpclarke on topic Centerstand broke
yeah.....same exact thing happened here.....

-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD

More
19 Nov 2007 17:56 #181786 by peterperfect
Replied by peterperfect on topic Centerstand broke
Hi!

Yip, same thing on my bike a few months ago..

Option 1:
Live without it.., You may get better ground clearance, especially with a pillion and/or luggage.

You may need a crate or paddock stand to do small maintenance jobs at home.., i.e. adjusting the chain.

You also need to have a look at the side stand's condition, before you have to park the bike against a tree..

Option 2:
Trawl through bike breakers for your model.., chances are the centre stand is available.., but try to get to it and check it out.., hit it with something metallic and see if it sounds...., well.. sound!! (otherwise it may be suffering from the same 'lurgy yours did)

peterperfect

1981 Z550 LTD C2
(or the US Custom version as it's known in the UK)

More
19 Nov 2007 21:02 #181819 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Centerstand broke
Seems they have a reputation for failing and sometimes taking part of the frame with it, you're probably better off without it. In my opinion, I think using the sidestand is more secure and less chance of getting it knocked over. Never had one on my GPz (had to come off to fit the pipe), didn't miss it. If you need to get the bike off the ground for maintenance you can't beat a bike lift.