Anyone in Tulsa that can help with alignment?

More
11 Oct 2007 05:51 #175652 by TheDevilZX
So here we are again, with my beautiful KZ650.. Riding down riverside with friends, and one of the girls in front of us decides to cut into my lane causing the person i am following to slam on their brakes and I of course pump mine to slow down, however im not quick enough, and before i slam into the back of them "now im about 2 car lengths behind the mazda I followed" I grab my brake and depress my footbrake, it locks up and throws the bike to its side, for my second dump.

I skid about 10 feet while my KZ does a horrific slide infront of me sparking as it goes. Long story short, engine is fine, probably needs calibration, the wheel and bars are missaligned from eachother, so it is crooked to steer.

I am wondering if there are any knowledgeable gearheads around tulsa that could stop by my place and take a look, maybe help out with fixing this problem, or maybe a good writeup. I escaped with a deep roadburn on my left arm and leg "thru my leather jacket and jeans" and that was all. My bike having bars around the engine caught a dent in the tank and the alignment. All in all i say im lucky as hell.

I'd appreciate input! Im trying to get this done by Friday afternoon before I have to go back to work! My days off are coming to and end!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2007 07:30 #175680 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Anyone in Tulsa that can help with alignment?
where abouts in tulsa are you?does the bike just have the front wheel and handlebars out of alignment?you can probably loosen the pinch bolts that hold the tubes up in the tripple trees,and maybe clamp some angle iron or two by fours on the back tire so that you can do a little eyeballin and maybe some measureing.the straight edges will realy give you an idea about how the front legs need twisted to get back where they need to be.do they look bent from the side(the fork legs)?

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
11 Oct 2007 09:30 #175702 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic Anyone in Tulsa that can help with alignment?
Im at 91st and Yale in tulsa, south tulsa.

No its only noticable on the bike in motion however i havent laid eyes on it in a bit so I may be biased to say that.

In any case. I'll try tackling it myself I do suppose.

Thanks for the input ;)

More
11 Oct 2007 13:41 #175754 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Anyone in Tulsa that can help with alignment?
Devil hate to say this but I think you fork(s) are bent. After my accident, one fork is bent and my bars don't even line up with front tire. The way the bars bolt on there is nothing that would put them out of alignment except a bent fork, as blackbanshee says take a straight edge and check your forks.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
11 Oct 2007 17:34 #175788 by steell
You have to hit something pretty hard to bend the fork tubes, just dumping it on the road won't do it. I have a couple of fork tubes that I use for cheater bars, and I have never been able to bend one.

As far as the bars lining up with the forks, loosen the pinch bolts on the triple clamps, straddle the front tire with your legs tight against the tire, and you can twist the bars left or right till you get bored. It irritates the heck out of me to ride straight down the road with the bars pointed off to one side, so I've used the above method many times.

KD9JUR

More
11 Oct 2007 19:45 #175819 by TheDevilZX
I have no come across another problem.

When i start the bike up it idles fine, but when i get past about 1/5th throttle, it sounds a LOT deeper, and sometimes missfires after shifting. There is a loss of power and feels real boggy.

What could be the problem? New plugs, fresh gasoline, oil.. Hm :/

More
12 Oct 2007 09:34 #175904 by TheDevilZX
Wow, Steell..

You hit it right on the head :) thanks, that worked beautifully.

Thanks, a lot. Now its not an annoyance. Too bad my speedo got knocked and destroyed :( then it'd be just like new hah.

Anyhow, thanks all, and sorry about YOUR unfortunate circumstance Blue!