Lowering

More
07 Oct 2007 11:10 #175069 by kz650csr81
Lowering was created by kz650csr81
Hi all,
I want to Lower the rear of my 81 650 H1 to give it more of a "chopped" look.... can I cut the springs or is there some kind of adjustment on the springs themselves... I don't want to go hardtail or struts I still want a semi-comfortable ride... thanx in advdance
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2007 11:17 #175071 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Lowering
Most folks install shorter shocks. But be mindful of reduced clearance between tire and under-fender, so hitting a big bump doesn't rip out the under-fender wiring. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Oct 2007 11:59 #175078 by andoman
Replied by andoman on topic Lowering
If you cut the springs you will make them stiffer and probably end up with a harsh ride. I agree that shorter shocks are the way to go. An alternative would be to buy or fabricate links that push the lower end of the shock aft. The change in geometry lowers the rear.

More
07 Oct 2007 13:04 #175084 by kz650csr81
Replied by kz650csr81 on topic Lowering
If I were to install shorter shocks is there some sort of retainer clip that can be installed to insure that the rear wheel wont rub to the under fender? or would nitrogen charged shocks that can be adjusted be the way to go??? I dunno this is my first attempt at motorcycle restoration/repair/customizing and it would be better to know where I stand before I decide which direction to run

More
07 Oct 2007 16:24 #175106 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Lowering
Might consider "lowering blocks" which reposition the lower eyes and inch or so to the rear and thereby lowers the bike.

The ride is much harsher.

See these on eBay occasionally. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Oct 2007 16:34 #175109 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Lowering
You could always buy some lowering shocks. I bought some off a member here. They are pretty stiff so I have them on the lightest setting. I weight close to 200lbs and the ride is pretty decent. I tend to like a firmer ride though than some folks may. I never had a bottoming out issue as they have some give but get stiff real quick.
The shocks i have are made for a kz 1000 but i went out and bought some strut bushings from AutoZone and grinded them down to fit on my Z1. Point being, you can make a lot of shocks fit your bike, even if they were not made too.

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
08 Oct 2007 06:18 #175181 by doublewideeddie
Replied by doublewideeddie on topic Lowering
You can also look at (Gasp) other bike manufactures for shocks. I have a set of Honda shadow shocks on the rear of my KZ 1000. they lowered the bike about an inch and still ride decent.