brake caliper woes =(

• infinitexsound
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Oct 2007 18:16 #174819 by infinitexsound
brake caliper woes =( was created by infinitexsound
so i started to work on the brakes on my 77 kz650,
dual fronts and single disc in the rears... as i was bleeding the rear caliper... the bleeder pulled the threads off the caliper... so now i have a damaged caliper... the bleeder wont thread on to the caliper at all..... how should i fix this?
the choices are

1)buy/replace a whole new caliper
2)drill and tap the caliper for a larger bleeder
3)jb weld the damn thing and tap it.

the first choice is the obvious fix but costly.
the second choice is probably a good fix, i might try that before buying a whole new unit. and the 3rd it seems like a death wish..

and another thing, as i fully bleed the front brake system on the fork, it didnt seem like i had any pedal pressure. i pumped all the air out of the lines.. and the pressure seems lacking.. could this be that i need some new pads or is this normal?

this is my first bike and im trying to get it on the road asap and cheaply..

thanks ahead of time for those willing to give some good advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2007 18:52 #174824 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic brake caliper woes =(
I wouldn't take a chance with a damaged caliper. If the repair lets go, no brake, but worse is brake fluid possibly on the rear tire. Replace it, and they don't have to be costly, check ebay. I have a $20 ZX6 caliper off ebay on the back of my bike, didn't even have to change pads.
Re: your front brakes, sounds like they just need to be bled.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
05 Oct 2007 19:43 #174832 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic brake caliper woes =(
I have been working on my brakes as well (same bike 77650c1) and i actually have a spare rear caliper, if you want it send me a PM and we can work something out on the cheap. It needs to be cleaned, but should not need a rebuild... oh yeah and the paint is shot! I could shine it up on the wire wheel before i send it even...

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• infinitexsound
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Oct 2007 20:06 #174836 by infinitexsound
Replied by infinitexsound on topic brake caliper woes =(
yeah thanks guys this means alot..... ill pm u maybe tomorrow.. im gonna try to rebleed the front system, section by section.. once i get that resolved ill pm u hardrock about the rear calip deal.. ill keep it in mind..

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
05 Oct 2007 22:06 #174846 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic brake caliper woes =(
Well just so you know, Sunday i leave for a 7 day cruise (goin to Bermuda!!! )

Please don't think i am blowing you off, send me a PM and we will get you this caliper!

Rocco

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• infinitexsound
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2007 00:38 #174855 by infinitexsound
thats cool i can wait that long or even longer.... gotta alot of sidejobs lined up to fund this project.... ill probably be running a whole new front fork assembly.. and purchasing a rear set now... oyy vey bikes are time consuming

• infinitexsound
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2007 00:38 #174856 by infinitexsound
thats cool i can wait that long or even longer.... gotta alot of sidejobs lined up to fund this project.... ill probably be running a whole new front fork assembly.. and purchasing a rear set now... oyy vey bikes are time consuming