Tires and Forks and Shafts - OH MY!!!

More
11 Jan 2006 22:46 #17389 by seeker589
Tires and Forks and Shafts - OH MY!!! was created by seeker589
Hello -

I got some tech questions and here they are!

I have a 1983 KZ550LTD. Shaft drive. Air Suspension front and back.

What is the largest tire I can put on this animal?
What tire do you recommend for cornering/sports riding?

I really don't like the air ride. :sick:I think the baffles/diaphrams have been blown out in the forks. What replacement forks from other Kawis or other Jap bikes will fit? I would like to get away from the air forks for simplicity.:)

How far can I lower/raise my rear suspension? and what is the most effective way to do it?

Is there any way I can extend my shaft drive swingarm?

Lot's of crap to throw at you guys all at once but these questions have been building up for a few months and I just joined the forum.

Thank You for any help you can give!

-Seeker :woohoo:

Post edited by: seeker589, at: 2006/01/12 01:47

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2006 05:41 #17428 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Tires and Forks and Shafts - OH MY!!!
If you don't like the air forks just change the springs and don't put any air pressure in them, they are no more complicated than a standard fork.
If you are highly skilled you can extend the shaft yourself, if not then plan on spending lots of $$$.

KD9JUR

More
12 Jan 2006 15:19 #17539 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Tires and Forks and Shafts - OH MY!!!
I don't believe shafties can be extended easily. Shaft doesn't work well for sport riding what with the jacking effect on accleration. Probably upsets chassis more than chain driven when getting on gas in corner. If you want to sport ride try trade for a GPZ 550. Now that is a legitimate pocket sport bike. LTD's are more custom/cruiser orientated rides. Not sure but does it have the 16" back wheel? Sport rubber a bit limited in that size. Smaller wheel will carry bigger load for two up touring or saddlebags.