handlebars shake without presser

• mcintyreruss
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Sep 2007 10:27 #173699 by mcintyreruss
handlebars shake without presser was created by mcintyreruss
i got new tires on my 81 kz550 ltd, now the handlebars shake when i don't keep presser on them,what should i do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2007 10:31 #173700 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic handlebars shake without presser
There is obviously a problem since the "new" tires! Check it out, somethings wrong! Really out of balance, tire not seated on rim, bent rim, etc. Check carefully, your life may depend on it!!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
30 Sep 2007 21:53 #173887 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic handlebars shake without presser
As blue meanie suggests check that the tyre is on the rim correctly. Sometimes they do not seat evenly. Easily remedied by deflating tyre, washing soapy fluid as a lubricant around the edge of the rim and inflating to a higher pressure than nornal. This should seat the bead properly. Re-adjust tyre pressure.

However check wheel trueness first.

It could also be that the wheel is out of balance

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
01 Oct 2007 08:37 #173939 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic handlebars shake without presser
Adding to the above suggestions:

Are the tires mounted in the proper direction (most tire brands will have an arrow on the sidewall pointing "direction of travel/rotation")?
It wouldn't be the first time a shop has mounted a tire backwards, and certainly won't be the last.

Are all axle/wheel spacers reinstalled, and exactely where they are supposed to be?

Are the rear wheel adjusters set identically?
If one is set differently from the other, it will cause the rear wheel to track different from the front wheel, and just might be enough to cause them to "fight" each other in tracking straight and cause your h-bars to wobble or shake.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• mcintyreruss
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2007 12:30 #173971 by mcintyreruss
Replied by mcintyreruss on topic handlebars shake without presser
checked tire, looks like it is seated on the rim right, rim not bent, but with it up and spinning i can see the wobble very clear. now what?

More
01 Oct 2007 14:20 #173989 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic handlebars shake without presser
mcintyreruss wrote:

checked tire, looks like it is seated on the rim right, rim not bent, but with it up and spinning i can see the wobble very clear. now what?

I would take it back to whom ever mounted/ sold it to you and talk to them. Explain your problem in a civil manner and see what they can do to help you. The reason I say take it back is, they would have to look at it to see what the problem is. All it might take is a remount of the tire or as much as a new tire ( they pay for it ).
Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/10/01 17:22

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
01 Oct 2007 14:29 #173990 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic handlebars shake without presser
It's very uncommon, but it sounds like someone sold you a tire that either squeeked passed Q.C. (highly unlikely, since it's usually an automated process and not prone to human error), OR unbeknownst to you, they intentionally sold you a defective tire.

I'd take it back to whomever you purchased it from and kindly (anger usually gets the same in return) explain the problem to them, and ask them if they will correct it (a NEW, undamaged tire).
If they concede and replace the tire for you, be sure to examine it for probs before you leave the shop. And then of course thank them for placing their customers satisfaction (and safety) above making a buck.

If they flat out turn you down and refuse to make things right, then make them aware that you will post about it here on KZr (over 9800 registered members worldwide), some who live near that shop and just might be willing to boycoot them after hearing your story and see if they change their tune. :whistle: :evil:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
01 Oct 2007 15:17 #174003 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic handlebars shake without presser
Curious; what brand tire? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
01 Oct 2007 15:27 #174010 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic handlebars shake without presser
Is the wobble in the rim or the tire? While you spin it, try to hold a finger, screw driver handle, etc, close to rim to see if it's true or not. Hopefully it's just tire... :dry:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• mcintyreruss
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2007 15:56 #174024 by mcintyreruss
Replied by mcintyreruss on topic handlebars shake without presser
bridgestone spitfire, i did what you said and put a screwdriver right at the rim and the rim and bearings are true, so it must be the tire itself, i'm going to the shop where i bought them from SPORTCYCLE Savannah,Ga , thanks again

More
02 Oct 2007 10:02 #174153 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic handlebars shake without presser
I have Bridgestone spitfires on both of my running bikes, and have had no problems with them. I am willing to bet that the dealer has them mounted poorly. Name brand tire manufacturers are very careful about quality control and inspecting each tire, so I doubt it is the tire. I could be wrong though. Whatever you find out, please let us all know.

/

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
02 Oct 2007 10:14 #174154 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic handlebars shake without presser
They should install an axle and spin the wheel and make sure everything is right before mounting on the motorcycle. Even then though, when everything is perfectly 100% right, some tires will still cause tank slappers when you remove your hands from the bars. Some tires just don't agree with certain motorcycles.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.