Caliper / Rotor Matchup Issue Question

More
29 Sep 2007 18:52 #173578 by brich
So I have a 76 LTD fork and dual caliper setup.

I have a 75 z1 rim with dual 75 z1 rotors.

I managed to get the rim centered with some spacer changes but I am having a problem getting the calipers over the rotor. Seem there isn't enough room in between the pads for the rotor.

I compressed the caliper as far in as i could with a c-clamp .. at least it isn't moving anymore. So could it be these rotors are too thick ... or could it be my caliper piston is cocked and not going in any further? Technically .. should these calipers work on the z1 rotors or were the 76 LTD rotors thinner?

I admit I only tried the one side so far. Will try the other tonight, but figure I would post this question while I came in for a bit.

Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

- brian

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2007 19:53 #173587 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Caliper / Rotor Matchup Issue Question
Ok, you pressed the piston all the way in, but did you slide the caliper all the way over on the pins?

Are you sure the pads are completely in place?

That's all I can think of right now, I'm tired :(

KD9JUR

More
29 Sep 2007 21:45 #173614 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Caliper / Rotor Matchup Issue Question
well i got the left side on no problem. So i figured i just had to mess with the right. Still no luck.

I did notice that the pad that touches the piston rocks on it a decent bit in either direction. I am going to pull the left side back off and see how that one is. I did buy this off ebay .. so who knows, maybe the pad isn't the correct one or something. It doesnt seem right it should rock as much as it does.

i had the caliper all the way over. That doesn't really effect where the pad is anyway right? Im going back out there to compare pads and how far the left piston is in in regards to the right. I know it is something stupid!! :huh:

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
29 Sep 2007 23:16 #173625 by brich
got it!! I compared the back of the pads and one had a rather large rivet mushroom on it. I grinded it down a tiny bit and it did the trick!

Score -1 for quality control! ;)

More
30 Sep 2007 09:02 #173684 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic Caliper / Rotor Matchup Issue Question
I put a Z-1 wheel on a KZ900 A-4 and I had to machine the out side of the z-1 speedo drive to fit the A-4 forks and to center the wheel.
Fish

Attachments:

More
30 Sep 2007 14:02 #173753 by brich
LOL .. yep, had to do that myself!