Need help!

More
27 Sep 2007 13:29 #173207 by whatever
Need help! was created by whatever
I've got a '77 kz1000 with mag wheels that I just had the tires replaced on. The rear tire had a tube and two beadlocks. The mechanic broke one of the beadlocks when changing the tire. The tire went flat the day after and I just took it back to them. They called and said that the other beadlock broke which is what caused the tube to go flat. They said the beadlocks are $92 a piece. They won't pay for the beadlocks because they said they were old and that's why they broke. What do I do? Is there anywhere I can get beadlocks at a reasonable price? Is there anyway to convert the wheel to where I don't need a tube (I asked the guy at the shop if he could put a valve stem in the hole and plug up the other two, but he said it wouldn't work)? Does anyone have some spare beadlocks I could buy? Should I just try and find a nother wheel? I don't have an extra $184 lying around because I just got married and I'm in college, so any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2007 14:17 #173213 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic Need help!
Check e-bay for the whole tire with a rim and beadlocks. You can pick one of those up for way less than the cost of getting the new beadlocks.

More
27 Sep 2007 15:45 #173221 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Need help!
It sounds like you have a sucky shop who doesn't know how to lookup anything aftermarket. Try this link www.speedsupplies.com/accessorylistingde...purch.asp?item=13292

Part #864-3508 should do the trick. Perhaps someone else can back me up or correct me. It's been a while since I left the shop I use to work at.

later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
27 Sep 2007 15:57 #173222 by whatever
Replied by whatever on topic Need help!
That's perfect. I was looking up beadlocks instead of rim locks, and I guess that's why I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know the standard rim width? I'll probably just call the shop tomorrow and get them to tell me.
Thanks

Post edited by: whatever, at: 2007/09/27 19:00

More
27 Sep 2007 16:50 #173231 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Need help!
Take a look here. This looks very much like original, although it's aftermarket:

www.americanclassix.com/kawa_reproductions.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Sep 2007 19:09 #173254 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Need help!
Rim locks do not cause flats. You can take both of them off and throw them in the trash if you want. They are not necessary to enable use of the wheel/tire. I use mine just because they are there. How in the heck can you break one of these is my question???

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Sep 2007 19:21 #173257 by whatever
Replied by whatever on topic Need help!
My guess is that it was a young mechanic who had never see anything like it before, and he screwed it up somehow. They told me they would replace the tube for free but not the rim locks, and they said they wouldn't put it back together without the rimlocks, so I'm just going to order some cheap ones and avoid spending $184 extra.

More
28 Sep 2007 16:26 #173371 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Need help!
You should tell them if they thought it was that old they should have not done it in the first place and make em pay for it. General rule of thumb since i was like, i dunno, 5? you beak it you bought it! Give em hell.. lol

More
29 Sep 2007 07:19 #173464 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Need help!
violentvintagecycles wrote:

You should tell them if they thought it was that old they should have not done it in the first place and make em pay for it. General rule of thumb since i was like, i dunno, 5? you beak it you bought it! Give em hell.. lol

This is true, but honestly, 30 yr old parts can just fall apart in your hands as they are touched. That being said though, these bead locks are what? Hard rubber with a 8mm stud imbedded in them? How do you break one? Get a hammer out and beat on one, I'd doubt it could be broken. Strange.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 Sep 2007 09:40 #173481 by DrRatchet
Replied by DrRatchet on topic Need help!
RonKZ650 wrote:

How do you break one?

Does the shop have a powered tire changer? If the kid never even looked at the rim (and why would he? He's maken' $6.77/hr) and stuck the iron in and stomped on the pedel... bang!@#%