Locked Caliper

More
26 Sep 2007 20:13 #173091 by Skypilot54
Locked Caliper was created by Skypilot54
So, I've developed a problem with a locked front caliper. I have the master cylinder and front caliper off the bike and am preparing for a rebuild. The rear is a drum brake and I already put new shoes on and cleaned up the rest of the rear system.

The inside of the master and caliper (after I popped the piston out) were pretty crappy looking with some nasty looking crud, and I'm sure that's a major contributing factor.

I do have a question. At the bottom of the master there are two holes. One I assume is for allowing fluid from the reservoir to the piston to the system. The second is ... a return? a vent? The second hold in mine appears to be plugged. Should it be open to the piston? Should it be a large an opening as the other hole?

As always, thanks for everyone's help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2007 05:05 #173142 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Locked Caliper
yes both holes should be open in the master cyl.
if the caliper is froze, fill it with pb plaster and let it sit, close the bleader and use a rubber tipped air gun, hold it tight and blast away, NOTE: keep fingers away from the piston, and cover it with rags, if not you will not like the results, I know this first hand

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
27 Sep 2007 05:13 #173143 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Locked Caliper
From m/c reservoir to piston bore, the supply port is the larger and the relief port is pin-hole size. :)

As signature mentions Frankenbike, are we dealing with stock m/c and caliper? :unsure: :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Sep 2007 06:04 #173148 by Skypilot54
Replied by Skypilot54 on topic Locked Caliper
Thanks. Yes everthing is stock.