brake oil kz650

More
24 Sep 2007 14:18 #172609 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic brake oil kz650
I think the fluid is held air tight and not vented. You could take a master cylinder and hang it upside down and it wont leak. The vented part goes to the top of the rubber insert right below the cap. The master cylinder itself where the fluid is gets no air, but air is allowed on top of the rubber so it can expand and contract as brake fluid is drawn from the master cylinder. I think this is how they work anyways :P but I've been wrong more than once.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2007 18:10 #172659 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic brake oil kz650
650ed wrote:

"The dot 5 does not absorb water so how are you going to get it in the system"

Condensation. The screw-on brake reservoir caps are not air tight. In fact, they are deliberately vented. Take a look at the threads inside the caps and (assuming your caps are like mine) you will find a channel cut perpendicularly through the threads that permits air to be exchanged between the reservoir and the atmosphere. I don't know if the later rectanglular type reservoirs are vented or not. I found that the round ones are vented when I built a pressure bleeder adapter for my bike. I had to plug the vent in my home-made adapter to get the reservoir to hold pressure. By the way, I've never had to rebuild or replace seals in any of my brake components. Ed

First problem with your thought, dot 5 does NOT absorb water so it will NOT collect water at the lowest point.
even if the system is exposed to condensation it does NOT absorb the water so it can not have a water issue at the bottom of the system.
the brake system is sealed as stated.
Since you have changed your dot 3 fluid out over the course of time you have removed the contamination in the brake system, which is a good thing, but if you had dot 5 in it you would not have to replace the fluid.
I am not wanting to start a bunch of crap but there is a better mouse trap in the brake fluid world, try it you will like it

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
24 Sep 2007 18:56 #172663 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic brake oil kz650
Interesting article :)

DOT3 vs. DOT5

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Sep 2007 19:08 #172665 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic brake oil kz650
I suggest that anyone considering changing to DOT5 read Patton's link. I'm not trying to convert anyone who is happy with DOT 5, I just don't recommend it for the numerous reasons in Patton's link. Sorry, folks, it's not a better mouse trap. End of story. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 Sep 2007 19:21 #172668 by RonKZ650
The article is not 100% correct, saying the fluid is constantly exposed to air. Isn't true, no part of the fluid ever is exposed to air. Like I said, that's the reason for the collapsable rubber part below your cap. Say you had 4 oz of brake fluid in the reservoir and your disc pads wore down enough to drain 1 oz of that fluid out. Like the artical says something has to give. What "gives" is the rubber is pulled down exactly 1 oz of volume giving you the 3 oz of fluid in your reservoir. The fact the top of the rubber is vented lets it collapse and expand with the changes in fluid volume. Air is not ever touching your brake fluid, so with this error in the writing of the artical, hard to say how accurate any of it's content is. You'll notice all hydraulic brake systems, whether they are on a car or motorcycle have this collapsable rubber system for this reason.

More
25 Sep 2007 09:22 #172751 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic brake oil kz650

By the way, I've never had to rebuild or replace seals in any of my brake components. Ed

I have since rebuilt the rear (just cleaning and new seals), adding a GSXR master cylinder and resevoir, as that is what the GSXR system uses.

The only reason I rebuilt and replaced the seals in the rear caliper is because Dot 3 or 4 is NOT compatable with Dot 5. You cannot mix them. Therefore I cleaned out all the Dot 5 and replaced the seals.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
25 Sep 2007 10:09 #172760 by RonKZ650
I've never had to rebuild any of my calipers on any of my Kawasaki's either, even the high mile ones. I did have a leaky piston on the 78 KZ650 at the master cylinder and I replaced it after well over 100,000 miles. I had dot5 so no paint damage at all. When you think and read that the brake fluid is vented to the atmosphere, think of it logically. Why does the manufacturers stress so highly. Only use brake fluid out of a "sealed container". Because even a tightly closed partially used can of brake fluid may have possibly not been 100% air tight and moisture may have entered. They sure wouldn't say this if your brake fluid, once put in your master cylinder was constantly vented to the outside air which would make no sense at all.
As to the dot3 and dot5 not being compatable, although I'm sure this is true, all I did was pump out nearly all of the dot3, then add dot5, pump it nearly all the way out, add more dot5 ect, until I was sure dot5 was all that was being pumped out. This way no need to bleed the system or any other headaches. Does this get all the non compatable dot3 out completely? Must be good enough, because it's been 20 yrs and a lot of miles with zero problem

Post edited by: RonKZ650, at: 2007/09/25 13:10