brake oil kz650

More
23 Sep 2007 00:45 #172303 by JanRa
brake oil kz650 was created by JanRa
Hello All,

I just bought a brake repair kit for my kz650B1 from 77.
I was wondering what type of brake oil I should buy. Does it matter, or can I just use any kind?

Take care,

Jan
Brussels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2007 01:18 #172306 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic brake oil kz650
Dot 3 is the recommended fluid, but if you want to do some reading here are a couple articles.

Wikipedia

How Stuff Works

Fluid Debate

I think they write these articles to confuse us,,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
23 Sep 2007 06:05 #172319 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic brake oil kz650
DOT-3 works perfectly fine for street use and is the recommended brake fluid. DOT-4 also works and is compatible with DOT-3. DOT-5 is not recommended as it is not compatible with DOT-3 or DOT 4 and, because it is not hygroscopic, moisture entering the brake system tends to "puddle" at the bottom of the system (in the calipers) and cause corrosion. Which ever (3 or 4) fluid you buy, get a name brand and get it at a high volume auto supply store. That way you don't need to worry about it having sat on a shelf for years absorbing moisture. Also, for the same reason, don't use fluid that's been opened before sitting in your garage. Plan on changing fluid every 2 years and your brake system will stay like new, but buy fresh fluid each time. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Sep 2007 10:18 #172358 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic brake oil kz650
650ed wrote:

DOT-3 works perfectly fine for street use and is the recommended brake fluid. DOT-4 also works and is compatible with DOT-3. DOT-5 is not recommended as it is not compatible with DOT-3 or DOT 4 and, because it is not hygroscopic, moisture entering the brake system tends to "puddle" at the bottom of the system (in the calipers) and cause corrosion. Which ever (3 or 4) fluid you buy, get a name brand and get it at a high volume auto supply store. That way you don't need to worry about it having sat on a shelf for years absorbing moisture. Also, for the same reason, don't use fluid that's been opened before sitting in your garage. Plan on changing fluid every 2 years and your brake system will stay like new, but buy fresh fluid each time. Ed

I use dot 5 and have had great results with it, you do need to clean the system out first ,dot 5 does not absorb water and it will not eat your paint if you spill it, a friend put it in his bike about 4 years ago,and has never had any issues

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
23 Sep 2007 10:48 #172363 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic brake oil kz650
Regardless of type brake fluid, I was happy to learn that "flushing" the brakes to re-new the same type fluid does not itself require bleeding air from the system.

Just suck "most" of the old fluid from the reservoir without exposing the ports, add fresh fluid, and use the caliper bleed valve in the normal manner to pump fresh fluid through the system. Repeat if necessary to assure new fluid expelled from caliper bleed valve.

Don't allow the reservoir to become empty on pain of incurring a real air bleed necessity.

Maybe everybody else in the world but me already knew this before -- but I had been hesitant to do routine brake fluid flushing because of erroneously believing the lines had to be completely drained before adding new fluid with attendant pita air bleeding procedure.

Cheers! :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/09/23 13:51

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Sep 2007 11:10 #172372 by 650ed
"a friend put it in his bike about 4 years ago, and has never had any issues"

The issue is that because DOT-5 fluid does not absorb water the water that enters the brake system collects at the lowest point in the brake system (water being heavier than brake fluid) rather than simply being absorbed evenly within the brake fluid (this in unavoidable unless you live in a climate with 0% humidity). As a result, the higher concentration of water in these areas can lead to corrosion, and you are unlikely to notice this until the damage is done. DOT 3 & 4 fluid absorb the water evenly throughout the fluid so there is no single place in the system with a high concentration of water. Racers like DOT 5 because of the higher boiling point (not an issue on a street bike with stock brake systems) but real race bikes have the fluid changed much more frequently than street bikes so puddling is much less of an issue. I've been using DOT-3 in my '77 KZ650 for 30 years, changing fluid every 2 years, with no problems at all, and I've been known to run my bike pretty hard through the twistys with no brake fade. I suspect the above facts are part of the reason manufacturers don't recommend DOT 5. I agree that DOT-5 is less harmful to paint, but why would anyone put brake fluid on paint anyway? I'm glad your friend has had luck with DOT 5, and I hope you do as well, but having used DOT 3 in the same bike for 30+ years has made a believer out of me. Ed

More
23 Sep 2007 14:54 #172405 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic brake oil kz650
So, with Dot5 fluid just flushing the system out wouldn't remove the water because it would sit at the bottom of the caliper, or whatever the lowest point is in the system. You would either have to disassemble the caliper or at least remove it and turn it upside down to get the water out. Am I correct on this???
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
23 Sep 2007 15:17 #172416 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic brake oil kz650
Just for info, I put dot5 in all my bikes a long, long time ago. Like around 1985 and my brakes work just fine. Never a problem, and I'm kind of shameful in my change interval, which is never.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Sep 2007 20:14 #172418 by 650ed
"So, with Dot5 fluid just flushing the system out wouldn't remove the water...."

That's a good question. I don't know if that would be a problem as flushing the fluid out might push any water with it, but you're right, depending on the internal shape of the caliper and the method of flushing, there could be a pocket of water left behind. It seems to me that using DOT 3 or 4 eliminates that risk. Other than the fact that DOT 5 is less damaging if spilled on paint, I don't see any practical advantage to it that offsets the potential problems. Ed

More
24 Sep 2007 05:04 #172484 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic brake oil kz650
650ed wrote:

"So, with Dot5 fluid just flushing the system out wouldn't remove the water...."

That's a good question. I don't know if that would be a problem as flushing the fluid out might push any water with it, but you're right, depending on the internal shape of the caliper and the method of flushing, there could be a pocket of water left behind. It seems to me that using DOT 3 or 4 eliminates that risk. Other than the fact that DOT 5 is less damaging if spilled on paint, I don't see any practical advantage to it that offsets the potential problems. Ed

The dot 5 does not absorb water so how are you going to get it in the system,
I have taken apart a front brake caliper that had dot 5 in it and it was as clean as it was when rebuilt, no rust no trash.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
24 Sep 2007 06:36 #172498 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic brake oil kz650
I had Dot 5 put in my front and back systems in the 80s.
My bike sat stored for all of the 90s (10+ years) and in 2004, when she came out of storage, my brakes still worked great, and never siezed or anything.

I have since rebuilt the rear (just cleaning and new seals), adding a GSXR master cylinder and resevoir, as that is what the GSXR system uses.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
24 Sep 2007 10:22 #172554 by 650ed
"The dot 5 does not absorb water so how are you going to get it in the system"

Condensation. The screw-on brake reservoir caps are not air tight. In fact, they are deliberately vented. Take a look at the threads inside the caps and (assuming your caps are like mine) you will find a channel cut perpendicularly through the threads that permits air to be exchanged between the reservoir and the atmosphere. I don't know if the later rectanglular type reservoirs are vented or not. I found that the round ones are vented when I built a pressure bleeder adapter for my bike. I had to plug the vent in my home-made adapter to get the reservoir to hold pressure. By the way, I've never had to rebuild or replace seals in any of my brake components. Ed