tube repair

More
22 Sep 2007 18:17 #172248 by arobsum
tube repair was created by arobsum
has anyone had any luck patching tubes? i bought this
tube from jc whitney and it leaks. the patch kit i bought is useless. i am fed up with these damned tires.
first my kz900 went flat, then a week later my kz1000 went flat. AAhhhhhhhhh......:angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
22 Sep 2007 18:25 #172251 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic tube repair
Yeah, been doing it all my life.

Do a GOOD job on the patch AND Don't pinch it on the way back in!

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
22 Sep 2007 18:33 #172255 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic tube repair
Tubes are not the place to try to save $$, especially when quality tubes are only $15 each. You'll understand why if you ever have a blowout (I did on my old BSA; it's an unforgettable experience). I’ve looked at numerous tubes from Michelin, Continental, and others and I found that Continental tubes are very high quality and use thick rubber. (I'm not a Continental salesman, in fact, I use Michelin tires.) Patching a leaky tube is Russian roulette as you don't know what speed you'll be traveling when the patch, or a different leak, will open up. Ed

Here are tube sizes:

www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en...d_schlaueche_en.html

Here’s one place to buy them, there are other places too:

www.americanmototire.com/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Sep 2007 20:39 #172281 by steell
Replied by steell on topic tube repair
I will patch a rear tube if it's an emergency,
but if it's a front tube I'll find some other way.
I still remember having asphalt shaved from my arms with a straight razor
the last time I patched a front tube :woohoo:

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/09/22 23:39

KD9JUR

More
23 Sep 2007 07:16 #172326 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic tube repair
good info. thanks. i didn't pinch the new one. i think it started leaking when i was attempting to seat the bead of the tire. i used soapy water and everything. i had it inflated to around 55-60 psi. it would not seat all the way. i have been fighting these tires for about a month now. really getting sick of it.:sick: :angry: :S :unsure: :ohmy: :huh:

More
23 Sep 2007 07:18 #172327 by arobsum
KZCSI wrote:

Yeah, been doing it all my life.

Do a GOOD job on the patch AND Don't pinch it on the way back in!

KZCSI

anything you can tell me on a patch kit? a good name brand or anything? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

More
23 Sep 2007 08:18 #172341 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic tube repair
For as much fun as it is to remove tire/rim and disasemble/reassemble and reinstall on bike I would always install a new tube! Old mechanics saying..."No one has enough time to do it right the first time, but everyone has enough time to do it right the second time"! Think about it... just my 2 cents.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
23 Sep 2007 09:43 #172353 by arobsum
Bluemeanie wrote:

For as much fun as it is to remove tire/rim and disasemble/reassemble and reinstall on bike I would always install a new tube! Old mechanics saying..."No one has enough time to do it right the first time, but everyone has enough time to do it right the second time"! Think about it... just my 2 cents.

you are correct. where i live there are no places to buy new tubes, i have to order everything thru dennis kirk or z1 enterprises...etc. so if i can possibly fix this damned thing with a high quality patch i will try it. i just want my bikes back on the road.....:cheer: