Looking for diagram

More
11 Jan 2006 03:14 #17212 by Snakebyte
Looking for diagram was created by Snakebyte
Does any one have a diagram of a single shock setup for a zx bike? I purchased a zx6 swing arm assembly for my Kz. All of you know that I have to mod the frame for mono shock. Well I have been looking at parts diagrams at buykawasaki and noticed that the lever for the shock has two dog bone looking arms. What are these and where do they go. Does any one have pics of a rear setup like this. I checked the archieves and found some pics but non that realy helped. I'm looking for pics of rear shock setup for mono shock. Detailed pics of mounts for the top of shock for conversion. Like I said I seen some in the archieves but some of them I could not see the pic. but there was a desciption. Looking for ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2006 06:07 #17225 by twowheeledterror
Replied by twowheeledterror on topic Looking for diagram
Snakebyte wrote:

Does any one have a diagram of a single shock setup for a zx bike? I purchased a zx6 swing arm assembly for my Kz. All of you know that I have to mod the frame for mono shock. Well I have been looking at parts diagrams at buykawasaki and noticed that the lever for the shock has two dog bone looking arms. What are these and where do they go. Does any one have pics of a rear setup like this. I checked the archieves and found some pics but non that realy helped. I'm looking for pics of rear shock setup for mono shock. Detailed pics of mounts for the top of shock for conversion. Like I said I seen some in the archieves but some of them I could not see the pic. but there was a desciption. Looking for ideas.

Hope this helps.

If you look at the diagram you'll figure it out. :)

When the swingarm goes up the tie rods pull back and up on the pivot, causing it to rotate from it's axis (where it meets the frame) and compress the shock. :)

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2006/01/11 09:09

More
11 Jan 2006 11:57 #17271 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Looking for diagram
Thats what I was looking for thanks a bunch. That helps out a lot. From the looks of it you can raise and lower the suspension just buy getting longer or shorter dog bones. Pretty neat setup.

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2006/01/11 14:57

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2006 12:05 #17274 by twowheeledterror
Snakebyte wrote:

Thats what I was looking for thanks a bunch. That helps out a lot. From the looks of it you can raise and lower the suspension just buy getting longer or shorter dog bones. Pretty neat setup.<br><br>Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2006/01/11 14:57

Exactly! :thumbup:

Or, you could get someone to machine you some custom rods that have 2 or 3 settings on each end... and be able to adjust them on the fly with a few tools and the center stand. (Hmm... who would have access to machining stuff for that though? ;) hehehe)

More
11 Jan 2006 17:50 #17322 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Looking for diagram
Check out this site: Project Z
He has pics of his 650 build , showing a mono shock swingarm, brackets and linkages.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2006 21:38 #17371 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Looking for diagram
that guy seems to do some pretty nice work!

More
11 Jan 2006 23:41 #17394 by Snakebyte
Wow thats going to be very helpfull in the future. It looks like he had a couple of different ideas before he was satisfied. Now I have a better idea of what to expect. This is going to take more time then I thought.:blink:

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
12 Jan 2006 00:26 #17396 by twowheeledterror
Snakebyte wrote:

Wow thats going to be very helpfull in the future. It looks like he had a couple of different ideas before he was satisfied. Now I have a better idea of what to expect. This is going to take more time then I thought.:blink:

No it won't. I'll share my plans with you. I've been calculating and brainstorming this exact thing for years...

More
12 Jan 2006 12:25 #17508 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Looking for diagram
Is that a newer katana arm on that? If so, how does it compare with the gs1100/1000 arms (length, width ect.) that seem to be quite a popular upgrade? thx

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
13 Jan 2006 02:24 #17640 by Snakebyte
So whats the ideer:woohoo:
Like I said in another post I would like to do it this summer, but afraid that this will take most of this summer I was thinking of putting it off till november 06. I did find a set of dog bones, rear axle w/spacers, rear adjusters, pivot point axle, rear cush drive, all for $50:woohoo: . Of couse the condition of these parts is yet to be determined as he did not send me pics. yet:unsure: . I went to zx6e.com to find these items Still looking for both chain guards. :pinch:

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2006/01/13 05:27

More
27 Oct 2006 11:32 #87816 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic diagram UPDATED
Just to let you guys know whats goin on.
I made a spacer for the swing arm pivot point, so I can use my original kz bolt. I have a mook up frame courtesy of cycle theropy(thank you). The swing arm is in the mook up frame. I grinded some meat off the original tabs in the frame to fit the swing arm. After I mounted it I quikly found out that I needed shorter dog bones for the ecentric and shock to fit. I'll post some pics after they develope.
The last peices I need is the caliper braket from a zx 1995, a spacer for the left side of tire, the cush for the zx rim, sproket for rim, and thats it. When I get those parts I will take the bike to my fathers and get to welding B) .
If any of you guys have any of these parts I need please let me know.

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2006/10/30 12:08

More
02 Dec 2006 09:23 #96755 by z11heaven
Replied by z11heaven on topic Looking for diagram
hay i dont know if i can help but i perchest a gpz1100 1982 with a mono shock it looks good if u like i could try and send pics of the shock set up it mite help out