• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Always leave 'em smiling!
More
17 Sep 2007 10:15 #171115 by BINJIEU
Why are my brakes squeeling? was created by BINJIEU
Hi all,

Got a 77 KZ 650. Runs pretty well, but the front brake squeals when I apply brakes. Thought perhaps the pads were worn so I changed them. Twenty minutes later, sqealing again. If I spray with brake cleaner, OK for
a scoche, then squealing again. I noticed what seems like aluminum paint on the rotor, so I sprayed it off. OK for a bit, now, squealing again. HELP!!!

77 KZ650 w/ Dyna S ignition and stock coils
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2007 10:35 #171117 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Why are my brakes squeeling?
BINJIEU wrote:

Hi all,

Got a 77 KZ 650. Runs pretty well, but the front brake squeals when I apply brakes. Thought perhaps the pads were worn so I changed them. Twenty minutes later, sqealing again. If I spray with brake cleaner, OK for
a scoche, then squealing again. I noticed what seems like aluminum paint on the rotor, so I sprayed it off. OK for a bit, now, squealing again. HELP!!!

Play Dixie?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Sep 2007 11:19 #171123 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Why are my brakes squeeling?
I assume you used Kawasaki factory pads 43050-5001 at $100 or so a set? What you didn't? You used aftermarket pads Vesra, EBC or the like because they are less money. Good reason too, they squeel.
I went through this a long time ago and never had an aftermarket pad fitted to the front of a KZ650 that didn't squeel so bad pedestrians would be running for cover at 100 yds away. Not acceptable to me. Look on ebay for factory pads. Don't bother with all the fixes like slotting the pads, using brake stop squeel goop ect, because they will still squeel.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
17 Sep 2007 13:37 #171152 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Why are my brakes squeeling?
there is a anti rattle plate that is on the back of the pad if it is missing they will make noise, also take some 80 grit sand paper and spin the wheel, scuff the shine off the rotor and run it across the pads, this will clean any glaze off and allow the pads to seat on their own

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
17 Sep 2007 16:14 #171168 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Why are my brakes squeeling?
The factory pads are now $142.00 per set, and you will need 2 sets at $284.00 to acquire the shim that comes with them. This is what the dealer charges here in Atlanta.

The shim is part of the piston side pad.

I tried a couple different things. Aftermarket pads don't have the shim, so you might be able to get by without it, using copper Permatex like Patton did.

I found RTV by itself was not enough.

I got some brass .005 shim stock and used that in conjuction with some grey RTV between the shim and pad.

You can cut .005 with a pair of scissors. An assortment of .002, .003, and .005 is available at ACE hardware.

Way back when I had my one and only and never again BMW motorcycle, the rear brake shoes wore out. The dealer wanted $44.00 for one shoe and $45.00 for the other. I found a local brake reliner, who relined the shoes for $6.00 each.

More
17 Sep 2007 19:43 #171232 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Why are my brakes squeeling?
Before I found sets of original pads I stopped my aftermarket (EBC) pads from squealing by cutting a chamfer on the leading and trailing edges and using blue antisqueal (Permatex I think) on the backs. The only time they made noise after that was when the rotors got very dusty. Ed

Post edited by: 650ed, at: 2007/09/17 22:44

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Sep 2007 22:30 #171262 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Why are my brakes squeeling?
When mine squeel I just apply different pressure as I'm stopping and play a little tune. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Back in the 70's there was a mag write up that told you to drill small holes in the pads and put pencil led in them.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
18 Sep 2007 00:14 #171271 by Dr Zed
Replied by Dr Zed on topic Why are my brakes squeeling?
Same trick as 650ed, but used copper goo, I wash the brakes fairly often so don't get any squeel problems.
Cheers
Tony

650ed wrote:

Before I found sets of original pads I stopped my aftermarket (EBC) pads from squealing by cutting a chamfer on the leading and trailing edges and using blue antisqueal (Permatex I think) on the backs. The only time they made noise after that was when the rotors got very dusty. Ed<br><br>Post edited by: 650ed, at: 2007/09/17 22:44

B) B) B)

More
18 Sep 2007 16:10 #171392 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Why are my brakes squeeling?
Reread your post. Squeal is the pre-existing problem.

BINJIEU wrote:

. . . front brake squeals when I apply brakes. Thought perhaps the pads were worn so I changed them. Twenty minutes later, sqealing again. If I spray with brake cleaner, OK for a scoche, then squealing again. OK for a bit, now, squealing again . . .

I think BSKZ650 is right, the problem is a rotor that is glazed.

BSKZ650 wrote:

take some 80 grit sand paper and spin the wheel, scuff the shine off the rotor and run it across the pads, this will clean any glaze off and allow the pads to seat on their own

It's a real common problem on cars, if you don't machine the rotors, new pads will not wear in properly, and sometimes start to squeal right away.

You might scuff everything up, and clean the caliper pins and lube them up, and then see (hear) where you are.