brake bleeding problem

More
17 Sep 2007 03:22 #171038 by Jay_G
brake bleeding problem was created by Jay_G
Have just put together the front brake system on my project bike.
New pads, new seals in the callipers, lines were totally dry, been sitting for a few years, banjo bolts were all ultrasonic cleaned and blown with compressed air as were the lines..
master cyl from zzr 1100 (5/8"). Stripped the master cylinder before putting on and cleaned accumulated sludge out seals looked ok.

bled the entire system multiple times. even started at the top cracked all the fittings and bled them all the way down. Have put about half a litre of fluid through, no air.

problem is the lever isn't creating enough pressure, blanked off the master cylinder with a bolt and washer and it is rock hard, kinda ruled the master cyl out.

there are no leaks in the system, i even tried bleeding it with a vacuum pump.

i am at a loss. I don't think the old rubber lines would flex that much.

ideas would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2007 03:40 #171043 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic brake bleeding problem
Try holding the calipers up over the MC. Have a buddy crack the bleeder and check for air. It took me almost two weeks to get mine bled doing it with the calipers on the forks.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
17 Sep 2007 07:01 #171077 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic brake bleeding problem
I use a pressure bleeder tank (KD 2222) with a special adapter I made. This works really well as it pushes fluid through the entire brake system with both bleeders open at the same time (no air bubble can get trapped). If you know a professional car mechanic you may be able to gain access to a pressure bleeder. You'll just need to make your own adapter as I've never seen one for bikes. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Sep 2007 16:43 #171178 by steell
Replied by steell on topic brake bleeding problem

am at a loss. I don't think the old rubber lines would flex that much.

Wanna bet??

I just put GPz750 calipers and a 96 GPz1100 master cylinder on my 750 twin using 80 KZ750E brake lines. No matter what I did (and I tried all the tricks) I still couldn't get them to work. Sure could watch the brake lines dance around when I squeezed the lever though.

New Stainless brake lines solved that problem. And they don't move a bit when I squeeze the lever.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/09/17 19:44

KD9JUR

More
19 Sep 2007 16:11 #171617 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic brake bleeding problem
Rubber lines can deteriorate internally, swelling shut.

More
23 Sep 2007 10:53 #172364 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic brake bleeding problem
It is possible the brake lines are collapsed inside or have a( Butterfly)a piece of rubber inside the line that is acting as a one way valve.

More
23 Sep 2007 11:41 #172375 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic brake bleeding problem
Remove the calipers from the bike...hang them at a slightly different angle than they were when installed...slip a piece of wood a little thicker that the rotors in between the pads...hang them above the master cylinder,and bleed them again.
That's what I had to do,to get Mine bled on My bike.
I tried for DAYS,to bleed them while they were still on the bike,to no avail.Tilting them slightly made all the difference.Try to get the bleeder valve to the highest position,and just play around with different angles and You will get it.There's a pocket in there that holds a bubble and You won't get it out unless You do this.
Good luck with that,and post back.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
23 Sep 2007 13:03 #172388 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic brake bleeding problem
Not clear to me what calipers you are using but the ones on my 1981 1000J gave trouble with binding on caliper slider pins. This pulled the calipers back from the disk giving excess clearance and as a consequence too much M/C lever travel.

I had replaced lines M/C kit etc etc and still had spongy brakes until I had a look at these sliders. On mine one of each pair had an anti rattle sleeve and it looked as though my lubriaction had made these swell leading to binding. Replaced with new at a cost of a few cents and removed lubricant. Sweet as since. Howwever this is a bizarre problem so check fluid for air first as suggested above.

Post edited by: Kiwiz, at: 2007/09/23 16:05

More
24 Sep 2007 16:54 #172638 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic brake bleeding problem
search the forum for "gravity bleed" - works great!

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.