Kz or Z1

More
05 Sep 2007 19:39 #168851 by Handcannon
Kz or Z1 was created by Handcannon
Ever since I got my bike I thought it was a kz because the side covers said KZ900 but looking at the title the first letter and number is Z1. Now I am wondering if I have been wrong. Also my headlight switch has a po marking in the middle and the book does not show this on the kz wiring diagram.Can anyone shed and light on this subject as how to tell the difference.All the parts I have bought have been for a Kz but I guess most will interchange.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2007 19:58 #168855 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Kz or Z1
I think all the engines in the KZ900 or Z1 line all Started with the Z1 number sequence. 1976 was KZ900, 1975 and prior was Z1 although all were designated Z1 on the engines. Could be on the frames too, I'm not sure, but if you have KZ900 on your covers you have KZ900 and if you have 1976 you definately have a KZ900. As to the PO thing, all my KZs have it and it does absolutely zero. Don't know why it is there except maybe as a designation for "position" of "off" or "on"??

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
05 Sep 2007 20:07 #168857 by Handcannon
Replied by Handcannon on topic Kz or Z1
Ok I found the topic in the other part of the forum that tells the place to look up the serial number to match with what I have and it looks like I was right, this is a kz. Since I just orders a bunch of parts I feel better now. My serial # is zi50xxxx