H2 Triple engine in a KZ chassis?

More
05 Sep 2007 18:53 #168834 by OutlawGPz
H2 Triple engine in a KZ chassis? was created by OutlawGPz
Ever since i made the deal on the GPz im getting i have been looking the bike over and realising it looks quite a lot like the old H1 and H2 Triples. Now another part of my collection happens to be an H2 750 Mach IV engine...Im just wondering if this engine will fit in something like the KZ550 (aka GPz 550)Chassis. Im thinking it would be a wild lil bike if i were to use an 82 and newer uni track chassis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2007 19:05 #168839 by brich
Replied by brich on topic H2 Triple engine in a KZ chassis?
DO IT ... DO IT!!!!! That would be freakin hot! Get out the torch and grinder and git r done!!!

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
05 Sep 2007 19:27 #168850 by OutlawGPz
Replied by OutlawGPz on topic H2 Triple engine in a KZ chassis?
I will take some measurements off of the H2 engine case once i have it home and compare to the GPz chassis...if they are close...off to the salvage yard i go to find myself an 82 or newer GPz with the unitrac rear to drop the engine into. One would suspect that the triple heads being just a two stroke without cams (aka a piston port engine) would be about the same height or less then the 550 DOHC head...so its more engine mounts then anything...

More
05 Sep 2007 20:11 #168858 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic H2 Triple engine in a KZ chassis?
I have a KZ650 and a 1972 H2 frame sitting out in the back yard here and looked over the situation. For sure none of the mounts will line up, H2 uses smaller diameter engine mount bolts plus of course none in the same place as a KZ. Other than that, it could work and would be neat to see. Going to take a lot of welding and cutting for sure to make it right.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
05 Sep 2007 20:19 #168862 by OutlawGPz
Replied by OutlawGPz on topic H2 Triple engine in a KZ chassis?
How far off are the mounts compared between the two? I might be able to get some adaptor plates made up to get around issues like this depending on how far off they are. Had already kinda counted on having to do some fab work mostly to get the engine lined up properly for chain alignment and so forth..Either way i have the luck of having a welder for a roomate...im pretty sure if anything we can possably come up with a mount plate that mated the two together and added some strength at the same time. Im thinking along the lines of two plates that actually cradle the underside of the engine...wrapping up to the backside and drilled with bolt holes in both the H2 and the KZ mount sizes..also using tubing where needed to space the mounts and offset the engine..its hard to really explain but i have the idea in my head either way..