Any guru's in Maryland?

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
More
02 Sep 2007 17:55 #168079 by Serpent7
Any guru's in Maryland? was created by Serpent7
About 2 months ago I bought a 79 KZ 1000st. The guy I bought it from was in the middle of removing the side pockets, sissy bars, and criuser stuff off the bike and make it a track bike. I would like to make it a nice lowered, clean street machine! But for now, I just want to get it running. The handlebars, some electrical stuff, and other small parts have been removed and I'm currently putting these things back on. However, because I have no experinece with these bikes, its hard for me to install this stuff correctly because I have no idea how it originally should be. I was wondering, hoping, praying someone in MD. That knows what they are doing could come over and take a look at the bike and point me in the right direction so I can re-installing everything. With a little help, Im sure I could do it myself, but I just need a small hand so I can get started in the right direction. If you are in MD. (near Andrews Airforce Base) or close by, and have a little time ona weekend to come by and take a look, and maybe give me a little hand ( I can pay you for your time) i would be greatful.

LMK. Julian.

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2007 18:32 #168085 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Any guru's in Maryland?
One of the best things you can do is go get yourself a manual for that bike. The first thing I do whenever I start working on a bike is go get a manual. They sell them on E-Bay if you can't find them anywhere else, but after looking through that, it will give you a much better idea on what goes where. A helping hand is always good, but when one isn't around.....

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2007 18:37 #168088 by Serpent7
Replied by Serpent7 on topic Any guru's in Maryland?
Yep, I totally agree! A manual came with the bike, and thats what I've been using, but its slow going, and Im taking off, and putting on 4,5,6 times before I get it right. Everyone is half way across the US of a that knows what they are doing....lol

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

More
02 Sep 2007 18:40 #168090 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Any guru's in Maryland?
I wish I had a buck for every time I had to do something twice or more, it would be like winning the lotto:P

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2007 18:53 #168094 by Serpent7
I dont mind doing it 2,3,4 times over. 7,8, and 9 is were I through up the white flag...lol :silly:

Today, I put on my new handlebars, but Im having some accessory issues. I wired up and installed my front turn signals, but I have one wire that I believe was cut, so Im going to have to find a way to replace it. I bought a front farring on ebay, and cant seem to get it to line up right. Once I get the accessories right, then Im going to refill the fluids, and I hope to win a bid on a exhaust muffler, before I try to start it. Im really just hoping to find someone to point out the things Im missing, and bless it before I start it up.

Post edited by: Serpent7, at: 2007/09/02 21:57

Post edited by: Serpent7, at: 2007/09/02 21:58

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

More
02 Sep 2007 19:15 #168101 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Any guru's in Maryland?
Can you post a list of the top 5 or so issues that you are trying to solve? This might give us an idea of how best to help you. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2007 19:25 #168105 by Serpent7
Yep! Here it goes...

1) the brake ( I guess) resivor that sits on the handle bars pin keeps hitting the bottom of the bar. Im trying to turn it to make room for the farring (I'll snap pics tomorrow and post here).

1.5) Wanna make sure I have the handlebars mounted in the correct way, look like the sit too tall to me ( snap pics tomorrow and post here.).

2) One of the wires from the turn signal is broken, must replace but more importantly, I wanna make sure the wires I re-installed are in the correct area.

3) I have a set of wires that was in a box, and Im not sure were it goes (snap pics tomorrow and post).

4) If a bike has been sitting for a year, what do you need to check before starting.

5) currently bidding on a new exhaust V&H Megaphone. I just need the muffler part to install, but will install whole thing if neccessary.

6) extra parts in a box??? Not sure if they are neccessary, or if they were for the old side bags? (snap pics of parts tomorrow).

Thats it for now...

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Sep 2007 07:36 #168189 by Serpent7
Serpent7 wrote:

Yep! Here it goes...

1) the brake ( I guess) resivor that sits on the handle bars pin keeps hitting the bottom of the bar. Im trying to turn it to make room for the farring (I'll snap pics tomorrow and post here).

1.5) Wanna make sure I have the handlebars mounted in the correct way, look like the sit too tall to me ( snap pics tomorrow and post here.).

2) One of the wires from the turn signal is broken, must replace but more importantly, I wanna make sure the wires I re-installed are in the correct area.

3) I have a set of wires that was in a box, and Im not sure were it goes (snap pics tomorrow and post).

4) If a bike has been sitting for a year, what do you need to check before starting.

5) currently bidding on a new exhaust V&H Megaphone. I just need the muffler part to install, but will install whole thing if neccessary.

6) extra parts in a box??? Not sure if they are neccessary, or if they were for the old side bags? (snap pics of parts tomorrow).

Thats it for now...

Ok, here go the pics:

This is a actual pic of how the bike looks now! Pretty much complete except for a few little things listed, plus, one-or two more...lol

Here are all the parts left over... Not to bad, but enough to worry the crap out of you if your like me and have no idea what they are needed for, or what they do, or more importantly, were do they go???

Another pic of "leftover" parts...

Here is my electrical nightmare... I have no clue what goes were. I have looked in the manual but cant seem to make out what color matches up with what, and Im afraid to turn the bike on and check it because I'm not sure if I'll blow something up, or short something out.

Here is part of my accessory issue, the other side of the handle bars is my other issue. I turned the brake resivour as far as I can get it to go, it hits right on the bar. My farring that I bouth for a KZ wont fit over everything. Im starting to think the ferring eventhough it said it was for a KZ reall is a universal fit, so I know Im going to need help with it, however it is the last thing on my mind, because getting the bike up and running is priorty.

Here is a better pic of the bar, and accessories mounted. So far this is were I have them. Not sure if this is how they are suppose to be?

I re-installed this cover, but Im not sure if there was anything missing from behind it. Im not even sure what it is, or for. I just saw the cover off, and re-attached it. I know the guy I bought it from said he was going to go with a chain drive set-up and get ride of the shaft drive. Later on I will do the same, but for right now, I just want to get it back up and riding. Also, I think its "other stuff" missing from this side of the bike, just not sure what.

Here is another electrical connection I believe goes to behind the headlight but just havent goto it yet.

Also another I think that goes behind the light.

Here is the other side of the bike (right side). Im sure there are some things missing here too, just dont know what, or were it goes???

These are the pieces that were taken off of the original bike when it was running... These items will be for sale shortly.

I know its missing rear turn signals because this is were the side bags use to be... Will have to pick some up but it should still run without them right?

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Sep 2007 16:15 #168534 by Serpent7
Anybody in Maryland, or near Maryland interested in helping me out? Im a quick learner, just need a little experience over my shoulder coaching me on...

Also, if anyone can recommend a good bike shop near MD. that wont break the bank that will work too.

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Sep 2007 18:22 #168827 by Serpent7
Hmmm, guess I'm on my own...

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

More
05 Sep 2007 19:03 #168838 by bob_z1
Replied by bob_z1 on topic Any guru's in Maryland?
if I had more free time I'd offer to help since i'm in PA just over the MD/PA border.

there will be 2 wires to the clutch lever perch that "lockout" the starter unless the clutch is pulled in, that may be disabled.
not sure what your handlebar problem is but I am guessing the master cyl hits after a change to low bars. probably best to find a bit higher bars or a different m-c.... but you can make it work.

if you even need any ST parts I have a few left over :laugh:

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Sep 2007 19:17 #168846 by Serpent7
Actually I need a clutch cable if you have one...

I originally had drag bars on it, but it really didnt have room with those, so I got these new ones that sit slightly higher up, and still the same problem. Instead of guessing (because I have no experience + and there was no correct handlebars on it to begin with, Im kinda in the dark) I would like to find someone who knew what they were doing and could give me some advise. Your in PA so I totally understand, thats a bit of a drive. I get upto Carlise sometimes, and I know how far that is. If however, you are in the near future heading this way, give me a ring...

Clinton Cycles is in the area, so if push comes to shove, I'll have to drop it off there, however my funds are low from my previous project (VW Cabriolet 2L 16v swap). I guess I gotta wait.

Post edited by: Serpent7, at: 2007/09/05 22:19

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing