Tuning Your Suspension For Heavy Loads

More
02 Sep 2007 10:09 #167975 by Beatpoet
Tuning Your Suspension For Heavy Loads was created by Beatpoet
My girlfriend is pretty heavy. between the two of us we weigh a clip over 400 lbs. I can hear the clutch begging for mercy even when we take off.

With some of the rougher roads, my KZ1000 feels like it's begging for mercy over the bumps. I've tried riding the rears anywhere from the bottom to two-up, and the range is from bottoming out to what feels like riding without suspension.

Any tips on suspension tuning or even aftermarket shocks that would accomodate both my *very* aggressive solo riding and my small tours around the midwest with my girlfriend.

BTW, the bike is a 1978 KZ1000 (LTD) I got from a guy across town for a few hundred bucks. It's got the K&N filters, aftermarket Jardine 4:1 pipes, and aluminum muffler. The compression is holding out at just a little above the service limit, but it runs decently, and all cylinders match up pretty well. The clutch and sprockets are just a tad worn, but I'm going to ride it as-is for the rest of the year.

Post edited by: Beatpoet, at: 2007/09/02 13:10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2007 11:36 #167984 by Hawk_77336
Replied by Hawk_77336 on topic Tuning Your Suspension For Heavy Loads
I put an Eibach spring on my 05 Warrior and it made a big change in the ride and the way it handles in the curves. I look to see if they offered a kit for yours but did not see anything on the web site.

I would measure yours and call them and see if they have one that will work, here is their info hope it helps.

Eibach Springs, Inc.
264 Mariah Circle
Corona, CA 92879
800-507-2338
eibach.com

More
02 Sep 2007 11:56 #167988 by GPz750KS
Replied by GPz750KS on topic Tuning Your Suspension For Heavy Loads
I wish I could help, but, I divorced my wife and don't have that problem anymore. Just kidding...about the help part. the ex thing is true....

That's a tall order to tune the suspension for both. Been there. Check around the internet for a setof Rear KYB Shocks from a ZRX. Very tunable for early Kawasaki's and a touch taller than stock. Plus, they can be adjusted very easily.
This set is on my GPZ came from a 99 ZRX 1100. I paid about $200 for the pair.

Richard Z

Post edited by: GPz750KS, at: 2007/09/02 14:56