Need your welding advice

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2007 02:46 #167908 by Kellen79_650
Need your welding advice was created by Kellen79_650
Hey guys, it's about time I bought my own welder and quit fooling around. All the migs that I have used have been huge 250 + amps, so I am having a hard time deciding what to get. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but there seems to be a very large disperity between the price of Migs up to 180 amps and migs 180+. Do you guys think I would be ok working with a 175 or 180 amp. Don't see myself welding anything thicker than 1/4" and most of the time will be less than that. As always, thanks for your help.

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2007 07:29 #167949 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Need your welding advice
ive got a hobart handler 175 wirewelder that i use when i need to weld light to medium stuff that works fine,when i want to build a bridge ive got an old ac/dc stick welder;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
02 Sep 2007 09:47 #167968 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Need your welding advice
If you're only doing bike stuff a small welder, even UNDER 175-180 amps is plenty. Here's a little secret too.... small welders CAN weld thicker material. The problem is that the heat output isn't enough to sufficiently heat the parent metal for penetration.

So how can you do it? EASY!

Get a small oxy acetylene setup and preheat the parent metals over 500* and then use a small welder. The weld will be plenty strong.

I know someone who has built more than one bike and an entire hotrod, chassis and all, with a 100A 110 welder from Lincoln. This guy has been a pro welder for 35+ years, so he knows his stuff.

Anyhow, if you are looking for affordable with good power, I recommend the Esab MigMaster 203. It's affordable, you'll save money running larger spools of wire, and you'll have adequate power for anything you need to do in a simple, no BS package.

[img

Click on the picture for the information. Good luck!

More
02 Sep 2007 09:52 #167973 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic Need your welding advice
i've got the little 110 vac mig unit that seems to work great on the light stuff. not so good on the thicker stuff though. i guess it all depends what you plan on using it for.

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2007 21:30 #168133 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic Need your welding advice
Caffcruiser,

once again, I appreciate your help. You are turning in to the Godfather for my. Don Caffcruiser.

Anyway, I think I have settled on the Hobart Handler 187.

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
02 Sep 2007 22:25 #168134 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Need your welding advice
I've used that Welder, and had good luck with it. It was in my father-in-law's custom truckbed shop and saw everyday use. good unit.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
03 Sep 2007 06:10 #168159 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Need your welding advice
You'll be happy with that hobart. The feed system is a *bit* wonky, but nothing you'll notice if you're just getting started.

On the PLUS side, parts are ALWAYS available, and usually locally through someone that sells the Hobarts.

Good luck with the welder! Have fun!

More
04 Sep 2007 08:55 #168438 by conpewter
Replied by conpewter on topic Need your welding advice
Good discussion here, I'll be getting a welder sometime, though I'm very much a beginner at metalworking.

More
04 Sep 2007 11:44 #168474 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Need your welding advice
I have a Millermatic 135. It works on 110, I never use an extension cord, and my power is pretty clean at my shop.

I love it and use it almost exclusively now. I just got a spool gun for aluminum for it as well, cost almost as much as the welder, second hand! ;)

The Millermatic will weld up to 1/4", first pass, with flux core .35 wire.

Anything thicker I use the good ol "freebie" stick welder, and choose my rod for application- I have tons of 6013, so I use that alot. Can't do vertical down or overhead with that rod though- know which rod you need when doing stick welding!

I personally have not seen the need for a larger mig machine at this time.

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.