Z1 front brake question ,AGAIN ..

More
31 Aug 2007 12:06 #167583 by patmann
Z1 front brake question ,AGAIN .. was created by patmann
Ok guys you've got me this far, don't let me down now
:P
On the right side caliper that seems to be working now, it only had one of the four little rubber O-rings that go on the two "shafts/ bolts" that hold it together. Just how important are they? I have some that fit the shaft but are MUCH thicker..
I did some more brake bleeding last night and took her for a few short rides. WOW!! you sure don't want to grab a handful of front brake now!!! It does a nosedive.
So it's stopping at least, the brake is still soft, as to be expected since I'm still using the 1/2" master cylinder ( or at least from what I've read this is what to expect ).

Next question, but it might tie into my first one.

The right rotor is somewhat warmer, but not a whole lot more than the left side rotor. But there is a difference.
So it's dragging someplace:dry: Would those O-rings
cause this?
The farthest I've rode it so far is about four miles around a section ( farm talk here city boys ;) ).
Just wondering if it will come out of this or do I need to look further into it?
It almost seemed to me that the fixed pad "B"? was slightly kicked at a angle when I had it apart. As if the top was sticking out a mm or two more than the bottom. But that was eyeballing it late at night. But I wanted to see if it worked/ took the fluid ( hurry ) I didn't check into it more.
Thanks guys ( and ladies )
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2007 13:44 #167593 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Z1 front brake question ,AGAIN ..
patmann wrote:

... right side caliper...working now, it only had one of the four little rubber O-rings that go on the two "shafts/ bolts" that hold it together. Just how important are they? I have some that fit the shaft but are MUCH thicker..
I did some more brake bleeding last night and took her for a few short rides. WOW!! you sure don't want to grab a handful of front brake now!!! It does a nosedive. So it's stopping at least, the brake is still soft, as to be expected since I'm still using the 1/2" master cylinder ( or at least from what I've read this is what to expect )...right rotor is somewhat warmer, but not a whole lot more than the left side rotor. But there is a difference... Would those O-rings cause this?... wondering if it will come out of this or do I need to look further into it? ...fixed pad "B"? was slightly kicked at a angle when I had it apart. As if the top was sticking out a mm or two more than the bottom. But that was eyeballing it late at night....

I used the kit from Z1E:

Z1E-kit

Correct o-ring size is important to afford damping as caliper moves back and forth over the holder bolted to the fork. Thicker o-ring would likely impede the caliper movement needed for disks to release from the rotor (a dragging disk could cause warmer rotor).
Without the o-rings, excessive rattling will likely be the least problem.
The dust boots are also important to keep the o-ring area clean where the movement is happening inside the holder.
The piston seal and piston dust seal are the more expensive items, being designed to withstand heat.
Please take seriously the caution against using the 1/2" m/c, because in a panic stop, you WILL grab a handful.
Pads should fit flat against the rotor, and not at an angle.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.