how tight?

More
29 Aug 2007 19:38 #167254 by pollocksn
how tight? was created by pollocksn
well I got some new tires put on the KZ the other day. When I got my bike back home I looked at the chain. It is tight, I am very tight doesnt wiggle at all. This is my first bike and I thought that the chain should have some looseness to it. Am I wrong about this? Also how would I go about adjusting the chain?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2007 19:45 #167259 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic how tight?
Are You checking the chain tension with the bike in neutral ?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
29 Aug 2007 19:58 #167265 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic how tight?
To check the adjustment, put the bike on the center stand, measure the slop halfway between the sprockets, there should be 3/4" of play in the chain. Check in several spots in the chain it doesn't wear evenly. Have the 3/4" play in the tightest spot.
To adjust, remove the axle nut cotter pin and loosen the bolt then adjust the adjusting bolts in or out as needed evenly. When done, look down the length of the chain to be sure it chain is coming off the spocket straight. Adjust as needed. Tighten axle nut and recheck play and alignment.
Ride safe.

Don't forget to put the cotter pin (new one) back in.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/08/29 22:59

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
29 Aug 2007 21:29 #167293 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic how tight?
If you had a shop do it, take it back and have them fix it. They might have over-tightened it so you will need a new chain and sprockets sooner and they could make another sale.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
30 Aug 2007 21:10 #167482 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic how tight?
You're right about needing some slack when the chain is adjusted. Think of it this way: when the bike it sitting at rest, for example on the center stand, there is a given distance between the center of the engine sprocket and the center of the rear sprocket. When you take the bike off the center stand and sit on it or ride it and the swing arm moves up and down the geometry changes as the suspension allows the frame and engine to move up and down relative to the center of the rear sprocket. Because the center of the engine sprocket is not in line with the center of the swing arm pivot shaft, the distance between the center of the engine sprocket and rear sprocket changes as bike rises and falls on the suspension. So, if you take all the slack out of the chain when it's at rest it will be stretched as you ride the bike. You should get a second hand Kawasaki shop manual if you plan to keep the bike a while as it will give specific instructions on how to adjust stuff like the drive chain and other good info. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
31 Aug 2007 15:44 #167613 by pollocksn
Replied by pollocksn on topic how tight?
Thanks guys for the info. I stretched my achilles tendon at work the other day so I have been hobbling around. I cant really mess with the bike until it stops throbbing. I have been meaning to order a manual, guess now would be good since I cant do much anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1