Upgrading '76 to '77 Rear Disc

More
25 Aug 2007 21:59 #166351 by circusnuts
Upgrading '76 to '77 Rear Disc was created by circusnuts
Is this a bolt-on upgrade or is the swing arm and frame different?

The reason I ask, is that I have found a rear wheel with the disc hub and the rear calipers are easy to come by on Ebay.

TIA
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2007 22:13 #166352 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Upgrading '76 to '77 Rear Disc
if you can find someone swapping to differant swingarm and wheels on a kz1000 thats usually the easiest and cheapest route to get everything you need.you will need to make a bracket to mount mastercylinder too frame but its not too complicated on a kz frame.on a z1 the resevoir will not clear the sidecover,when i did mine i used a 80ltd style mastercylinder mounted to frame with a remote resevoir mounted under seatB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
26 Aug 2007 17:57 #166474 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Upgrading '76 to '77 Rear Disc
As mentioned...the resevoir must be addressed. The complete rear end swap is the best way to go. And I believe your swing arm is different. I would go with the 79 and later rear end. Much easier to find and rebuild if needed.

More
26 Aug 2007 19:21 #166500 by circusnuts
Replied by circusnuts on topic Upgrading '76 to '77 Rear Disc
It looks like I have access to a '77 rear (that good enough?).

Also, what size rear tire are you guys running? I have stock '76 with 130/90/18
(barely clears -- no heavy cornering fo'sho).

I was planning to take the '77 rear hub and send it off to Buchanan's to have new spokes laced to a "17 rim ("1 down)... and was hoping to move to 130/70 or 80/17 V-rated (little sidewall movement).

Is there more clearance with the rear disc support brace than the rear drum?

TIA
Phil

More
26 Aug 2007 19:51 #166514 by PLUMMEN
a 130 0n a 3" wide rim is about all you can run on a stock swingarm.a 77-78 mastercylinder will clear a 76 kz cover but not a z1,you need remote on the 73-75 z1 covers.the swingarm on mine was from a 77 ;)

More
26 Aug 2007 19:59 #166520 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Upgrading '76 to '77 Rear Disc
Just to let you know that if you use the stock caliper and mount a 17" wheel, there isn't much clearance. I know one guy with this set-up and he had to mount the caliper and wheel at the same time. Stock 18" wheel you can take axle out and remove the caliper, but there isn't enough clearance to do that with a 17" wheel. Think of it as one piece. Knowingly, you don't mess with it that much, but just something you should know about. I still am thinking about doing the same thing and I'm not worried that much about it.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
27 Aug 2007 18:32 #166743 by circusnuts
Replied by circusnuts on topic Upgrading '76 to '77 Rear Disc
racer54 wrote:

Just to let you know that if you use the stock caliper and mount a 17" wheel, there isn't much clearance. I know one guy with this set-up and he had to mount the caliper and wheel at the same time. Stock 18" wheel you can take axle out and remove the caliper, but there isn't enough clearance to do that with a 17" wheel. Think of it as one piece. Knowingly, you don't mess with it that much, but just something you should know about. I still am thinking about doing the same thing and I'm not worried that much about it.

Good points!

PLUMMEN what rim width and tire size did you go with?

I really want to have some clearance as I do like to corner.

More
28 Aug 2007 12:59 #166913 by PLUMMEN
in that picture it was just running a stock 77 kz1000 rim and 4" tire i had left over ;)