throttle cables

More
23 Aug 2007 09:00 #165848 by wiley90
throttle cables was created by wiley90
I have a 1976 kz 900 and one of my throttle cables broke. I have ordered 2 new ones and i will be changing them both when i receive them. Anyone have any tips or advice on this job? I read the service manual but, was wondering if someone has any helpfull hints. Thanks!
Dean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2007 09:48 #165857 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic throttle cables
You should ensure that the new cables follow the exact same routing as the old cable. You don't want to have the rpm's changing when you turn the handlebars due to a little bit too much tension on the cable due to incorrect routing.

You will have to turn off the fuel petcock, remove the fuel line from the petcock and take off the tank. When disconnectiong the throttle cables from the carb bracket try to reinstall the new cables with the same amount of adjustment on the cable adjustment nuts. This will be a good starting point to get the final adjustment needed as sometimes the cables stretch a bit over time.

It might also be a good idea to spray some aerosol lubricant down through the cable housing to lubricate the wire cable.

BTW, I use only the pull cable on my bike.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
23 Aug 2007 11:39 #165878 by wiley90
Replied by wiley90 on topic throttle cables
Thanks, I have thought about only using the pull cable also. The spring return seems strong. Any dissadvantages by only using the pull cable?

More
23 Aug 2007 14:59 #165912 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic throttle cables
wiley90 wrote:

Thanks, I have thought about only using the pull cable also. The spring return seems strong. Any dissadvantages by only using the pull cable?

Of course, both cables are "pull" cables. One pulls carbs open and the other pulls carbs closed.

In event of spring failure, the closing cable allows manual closure from the throttle by pulling the carbs closed.

And having the closing cable there provides a convenient "spare" replacement cable on hand for roadside repair if pull-open cable breaks. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/08/23 18:02

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Aug 2007 16:03 #165922 by wiley90
Ok, I put this kz together from boxes and i had known about the 2 cable system but only had one cable in the boxes! After a couple thousand miles it has failed. I am thinking that I should just hook up the pull cable and keep a spare in my rear storage for emergancys? Is this the way to go?
Dean

More
23 Aug 2007 16:49 #165931 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic throttle cables
wiley90 wrote:

Ok, I put this kz together from boxes and i had known about the 2 cable system but only had one cable in the boxes! After a couple thousand miles it has failed. I am thinking that I should just hook up the pull cable and keep a spare in my rear storage for emergancys? Is this the way to go?
Dean

Back in the 60's Brit bike days, most motorcycles (at least those I had) used only a single throttle cable which was a pull-to-open, and relied on a spring to close the carbs when the throttle grip was turned closed. As I recall, this was an internal spring above the carb throttle slide (at least on the Amal carbs), and it was much weaker than the Godzilla version springs used on later model rice bikes.

I keep the throttle cables on my rice bikes properly lubed and they seem to last a very long time, despite the stiff return spring.
When the pull-open cable fails on the road, it is nice to have a spare on hand (best spare scenerio IMO is an installed close-cable).
Have for many years carried underneath the right side cover a a stout 20 foot nylon rope "Harley Helper" to tow a buddy's bike when necessary (or allow someone to tow me -- Heaven forbid). Would recommend using limited storage space for the tow rope, not the pull-to-close cable, because towing may be necessary for a plethora of reasons unrelated to carb cable failure.

If the carb bell-crank is damaged or broken where the pull-to-close cable would normally connect, or if there is some other physical reason why the carb closing cable cannot be connected, that would IMO be a legitimate reason for not installing the throttle closing cable.

And one more thing (then I'll shut up) --- it is entirely possible to use both throttle cables and don't use the spring. Like the older Harleys, this is an acquired taste. But certainly not tiring, sort of a poor man's cruise control.

And another last thing (I lied) -- it's also possible to use a weaker spring (from the local hardware store), say a Baby Godzilla version, to ease the strain on a wussy grip (that would be me toward the end of a 600 mile day).

Just funning ya, Dean. Whatever you decide will be the best for you. Cause someone will likely be there or come along shortly with a 20 foot length of Harley Helper.

Good Luck, and may your throttle cable last forever and your Harley Helper rot from lack of use. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Aug 2007 20:40 #165988 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic throttle cables
You can run just the pull cable if you want too. I did on my KZ1000MKII for years because it was impossible to get the push/pull setup to work with low bars despite hours of work, using shorter cables ect. I have not yet had a throttle cable fail in over 300,000 miles and 30 yrs of KZ riding, so I don't carry a spare and never think about it.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Aug 2007 05:08 #166029 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic throttle cables
I just recently broke my pull cable on the 1000, and the ones I purchased are way too long, granted the bars were changed by someone elese, I have been working with z1 to try and find a set that are shorter may take a bit of time though

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
24 Aug 2007 07:56 #166062 by wiley90
I ordered mine from a place in Indiana called cycle recycle. I hope they are not too long. I have been contemplating just installing the pull cable though.

More
25 Aug 2007 04:46 #166199 by wiley90
I just received my cables and they are the right length. I am going to install them both then my (spare) will always be their. Thanks for the input guys!
Dean