Speedometer Cable Help?

More
18 Aug 2007 21:05 #164776 by ww2willys
Speedometer Cable Help? was created by ww2willys
I changed from single front disc brakes to dual disc brakes on my 76 KZ900. The forks were swapped side to side and then I mounted the calipers on the back side instead of the front. Unfortunately now my speedo cable has to go around the caliper and it is about one and a half inches too short. I looked on Z1 Enterprises and saw my cable was 34 inches long. Then I saw the 76 KZ900 LTD cable was 38 inches long so I ordered one but the inner cable that goes into the speedometer is different. My cable needs to be square on both ends but this one has one end that is round with a slot through it. From reading the messages here I thought the cable ends were all the same. I'm sure some of you have had the same problem. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
19 Aug 2007 08:19 #164829 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Speedometer Cable Help?
I'd suggest calling up Z1 Ent during the week and explaining the prob you have, I'm sure they'll be able to get you the correct cable.
Since I've never had to return anything I've bought from them I can't say for sure, but they MIGHT simply exchange the cable for you. You'd probably just need to pay for shipping the incorrect cable back to them and for shipping the correct cable to you - should be around $10 total. :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
19 Aug 2007 09:01 #164839 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Speedometer Cable Help?
You could go to your friendly neighborhood auto parts store and just buy a repair kit for a car. It's just the inner cable that you cut to the length you need and put the new square end on it. Both ends will be square and the cable is the same size as ours.

Just a thought.

You need to use the new longer outer cable you just bought so this is just an alternative if you can't get the right cable from Jeff.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/08/19 12:04

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
19 Aug 2007 09:21 #164841 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Speedometer Cable Help?
I've never seen a KZ speedo cable with both ends square, that is strange. I wonder if somethings been modified on your bike, as I looked up a 1976 KZ900A4 cable and it's the same cable I just installed on my 1977 KZ650 and it's slotted on the wheel end, square on the speedo end.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
19 Aug 2007 09:47 #164844 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Speedometer Cable Help?
Ron has a good point. I don't ever recall seeing both ends square on any KZ speedo cables either. :huh:

Have you checked the speedo drive gear housing on the wheel where the cable screws into to see if the slotted piece broke off of your cable and is still in there?
The exact same thing that happened on my 650's speedo cable a few weeks ago when it broke at that end.
The end of the cable was then square shaped, and even looked like it was like that orignally.

It sure couldn't hurt to check that housing just to be sure. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
19 Aug 2007 12:30 #164864 by ww2willys
Replied by ww2willys on topic Speedometer Cable Help?
Thanks for the help guys. Y'all were right on the money about both ends not being square. The slotted end was still in the drive gear housing. I must have broke it loose the last time I unhooked it and did not even notice. The new one is now installed and I'll be glad to have my speedometer back. Unfortunately they're predicting rain for the next week compliments of hurricane Dean.